DataFormat in Complex Flat File Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pradkumar
Charter Member
Charter Member

DataFormat in Complex Flat File Stage

Post by pradkumar »

Hi ,

I need to extract data from VSAM file on mainframe . I am using CFF stage in my server job. If open outputs tab on the stage properties i could only see NLS as Dataformat and Record style as Binary or CR/LF.

But in the manual about the CFF Stage in server it has given as
Data Format: The format of the input file: EBCDIC or ASCII, or NLS. If NLS is enabled, the Data Format is set to NLS and is not editable. (NLS maps support EBCDIC data.)

why i could not find the EBCDIC or ASCII in data format. It is showing only NLS as an option. How to enable the data format to EBCDIC OR ASCII?

Could any one help me regarding this issue.

Thanks
Last edited by pradkumar on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: DataFormat in Complex Flat File Stage

Post by chulett »

pradkumar wrote:If NLS is enabled, the Data Format is set to NLS and is not editable. (NLS maps support EBCDIC data.)
Sounds like you have NLS enabled.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pradkumar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by pradkumar »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply,

I need to extract the data from VSAM file. Could you please suggest me what to ask the mainframe person regarding the VSAM file. I searched the forum and i have got some information. But iam not in clear manner to explain to the mainframe person in converting the VSAM file.
so could you please let me know how to do the conversion .

Do i need to ask to convert the VSAM file in to sequential file in binary mode or in which format? and also regarding fixed width columns?

Really i would appreciate your help,

Thanks
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

Tell the mainframe person to convert the vsam file to sequential. If everything in the file converts cleanly to a number or a letter you have the option of having your file transmission mechanism convert the file to ascii. If you are reading this file with cff stage you specify ascii. You can still use the cobol copybook to read an ascii file.

If the file has "packed" numbers in it you have to read it in cff stage as ebcdic and you have to have it transmitted from the mainframe as binary. You won't be able to open this file with notepad or otherwise read it from the operating system unless you read hex well and understand the ebcdic character set.

You want your mainframe guys to give you the "cobol copybook" they wrote the output file with. This is what you import to cff stage to read the ebcdic file.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution