problems with SQLExecDirect (again)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's any consolation, I think we ALL got caught by it at some point.

Who reads all that legalese stuff anyway?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Kenneth,

Thanks. It looks like we are going to need alternatives and you gave us some good ones.

Just to completely close this thread out. Last night IBM Ascential support confirmed to me that you need a "Full licence" from Data Direct to use Data Direct odbc calls like the one's I show above in Datastage Basic.

I will informally answer the next quesion in your mind. How much do the full Data Direct odbc licenses cost? I am pretty sure Data Direct was saying if you have serious Unix servers with 4 or more cpu's, it would be at least $10k a machine and probably a lot more.

.. Tom
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

From memory it's a lot more. I think pricing is available on their web site.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

I really apologize for this but all that is said about this problem above is not true. IBM Ascential support came back and said that Datastage Basic (Ray calls it BCI) is OK for Data Direct calls. If you want to use Data Direct with C++ or Perl you have to buy a "Full" Data Direct License. But if you are using Datastage licensed software (the stages, BCI, ...) you have the license if you bought datastage. Add these two lines to you Datastage Basic (BCI) program and this problem will go away:

DEFFUN DSAttachODBCDriver(hDBC)
Status = DSAttachODBCDriver(hDBC)

Ray I don't know how you feel about this but maybe you should add these two lines to some of the samples in DSxchange that show how to use BCI. I don't think these lines hurt anything and they solve this problem. I know we got our template from DSxchange.

There was a little discussion about this line in .odbc.ini. It was felt this line should be removed and had something to do with the licensing problem:

QEWSD=39422

I tried to remove it and just running a datastage job with BCI put it back in .odbc.ini (I have never seen running a job change a config file but .odbc.ini changed when I ran a job. But even with QEWSD=39422 in .odbc.ini , putting the 2 lines above in your Datastage Basic/BCI routine will fix this problem.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSAttachODBCDriver() function is not documented in the DataStage BASIC manual nor anywhere else that I can find. Do you have any more information about it?

I will reply off-line about QEWSD (or at least my understanding of it).
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Hey Flash, just so you know, Ray is correct from the historical perspective. If you search the forum you will see that for years people have experienced this issue (since DataDirect drivers were introduced) and all of us have not only recommended, but have had to implement work arounds to do exactly what you have been trying to do. If after 5 years you're the first to point out we are all wrong about this issue then you need to get promoted to Premium Poster :lol:

If tech support is only now giving new guidance how to handle this, great. Just keep in mind Ray has forgotten more than many in tech support will ever know. From my tenure working for Ardentialmix the tech support also gave out the same guidance that Ray and I have been giving.

It's funny but periodically we have to go out and "sniff" for new cataloged routines/functions just to know that they exist, as sometimes the documentation is lacking. The DEFFUN supplied doesn't say "AS CALLING ..." so it doesn't point to an external cataloged function we could see exists so there's really now way outside of seeing the source code to know that these two lines changes the functionality of the DataDirect drivers.

But, the good news is that this forum exists and your solution should now be nicely written up and placed into the FAQ section and all due credit and glory point to you!!! :D
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A VLIST of the DSAttachODBCDriver() function shows that it quite simply checks the licensing. I suspect there's something more - involving the QEWSD entry - but am not prepared to go public with that.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Kenneth,

First of all I want to qualify something I said earlier. The entire thread up to a a certain point was not incorrect. I think our license did expire after 30 days as Ray and that other gentleman pointed that out. That was an important point and I was able to keep formal support on the right track when they were more interested in some recent Oracle patches we had done which was barking up the wrong tree.

I will say that I checked the two new lines carefully. I inserted them at the top of the routine (above the alloc), the odbc error message went away, and I checked the oracle table and the update was done. The two new lines definitely solve the problem.

Finally I want to say that I'm totally impressed with what Ray and his band of musketeers say about any problem and I always consult with them first when I'm stuck with something important. I understand that without access to the Datastage source code there's only so far they can go with certain problems.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Musketeers, ehh? :lol: I kind of like that.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:oops: Quelle embarrasant!

But not "my" band, please! DSXchange is Dennis's baby, I've just been sharing some of my good fortune (of having worked for the vendor for some years) on DSXchange.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

[raises hand] Umm... I'd like to be a Musketeer. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote:[raises hand] Umm... I'd like to be a Musketeer. :wink:
Artos, Porthos or D'Artagnan?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... so is Aramis already spoken for?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It got disqualified when they named a perfume thus.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:lol:
-craig