DB2/UDB API Stage Vs DB2/UDB Enterprise

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dashpriya
Participant

DB2/UDB API Stage Vs DB2/UDB Enterprise

Post by dashpriya »

Hi
Can any one tell me
what is the difference between DB2/UDB API Stage and DB2/UDB Enterprise?
In my project DB2/UDB API stage is used to populate i-series.Why not DB2/UDB Enterprise?

Please help me to clear my doubt.

Thanks
Dash
Raghavendra
Participant

Post by Raghavendra »

Search the forum I believe it will answer your question.
battaliou
Participant

Post by battaliou »

I'm very sorry to hear that you've discovered the DB2/UDB Enterprise stage. Please forget about it, it will only cause you trouble. However, if you insist on using it, try to do so sparingly. The DB2/UDB Enterprise stage allows a parrallel partitioned load into your DB2. It is much quicker than your standard API. It also uses massive resources, so if you run two or three jobs at the same time, you can expect the machine to fail. This sucks. I would strongly advise you to develop all your jobs using API and only use DB2/UDB Enterprise when you are fine tuning production. Its easy enough to upgrade a job.

If you want a stable system and the easy life, use DB2 API stage.
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.
Raghavendra
Participant

Post by Raghavendra »

But for better performance definetly DB2/UDB Enterprise stage
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

DB2/UDB Enterprise loads data really fast (abnormally fast). Something like DataStage and DB2 synchronizes the partitioning (Both being IBM products could be the reason). Think even the data read is parallel. Never used DB2/UDB API though. you will have to wait for the expert opinion. Correct me if i am wrong.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities - J.K.Rowling
dashpriya
Participant

Post by dashpriya »

Thanks a lot for all you answers.

Thanks
Dash