Other Web Service options

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

rodre
Premium Member
Premium Member

Other Web Service options

Post by rodre »

I just find out the cost of the RTI package and when all is set and done, the cost is astronomical.... :shock:

My question is:

* Is there other ways to use DataStage and make it available to Web-Services (other than RTI)?
Looks like there is multitude of Web-Services apps out there in the market. Can you use one of those and go in a round way, and accomplish the same thing....

Thank You in advance for your input!!! :)
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Hi Rodre...

RTI is so much more than just "Web Services." Keep in mind that it not only exposes (publishes) DataStage jobs of various types as a "service"...it also automatically provides the kinds of things that are absolutely critical for any SOA infrastructure solution --- workload balancing, failover, automatic registry for published services (WSDL), easy to manage vertical scalability (pooling of DS jobs), etc. Further, it supports multiple bindings, or methods for accessing the "service" (not just "web services" or SOAP over HTTP), and enables you to easily adapt standards such as WS-Security to your deployment.

Home growing a service for "request/response" would be pretty difficult, because we do some internal things that make "always on" jobs successful, but for the "kickoff" pattern (a web service that takes job parameters as input and basically "starts" a regular job), I suppose you could wrap up some C code in the appropriate front-end/wrapper and then publish that code in some services based environment..... ...for request/response, maybe just using MQ and Message pack will give you "some" of the functionality you need, but you'd have to do all of your own SOAP engine work to support a true WSDL/Web Services mechanism --- a lot of work I think, for either pattern.

Ernie
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Ernie,
You are already deep into SOA :!: :!: :!:
Soon we ll come up all our queries, when we upgrade to SOA. :)
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Rotsa Ruck. I've been using it off and on for quite some time now and can't even see Ernie's level - it's that much further up Mount RTI. :shock:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Maybe you should use "always running" rather than "off and on".
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thank you, thank you very much. I'm here all week. Try the veal. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

You guys are too funny. Yes --- I'm immersed it in, but no more so than the depths to which some of you guys go into areas like our interfaces with Teradata...

...which gives me the opportunity to get up on a soapbox (no pun intended --- well, maybe :) ) for a moment. I don't want to sound like a sales guy, but this RTI/SOA/WISD thing for DataStage is very cool...it is bringing DataStage into entirely new environments --- applications that are on the "operations" side of the house, not only the business intelligence side.

I was recently at a retail company who is using RTI with DataStage to enhance their customer loyalty program. DataStage is doing lookups and some transformations for a Web Service that is invoked several hundred thousand times per month from an application that is running at EVERY cash register in every store (and I'm talking a major chain here). How cool is that? DataStage was the best tool for easily building and managing the data access and transformations (hey, I don't have to sell the benefits of DataStage here), and allowed them to pay attention to the user interface because the Services deployment was a snap. Using RTI and DS allowed them to get the app up and running far more quickly than otherwise..... and here's the best part for everyone here.... the folks who are the stars of this applicatoin are the ones who were already intimate with the data, and were the experts on DataStage..... this catapulted them into a whole new arena.

Something to think about. :)

Ernie
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

To be more simple, Datastage is in its best on RealTime via SOA rather than in Batch mode. Even the one line application are clensed using Quality Stage and stored in ERP using Datastage. And its all triggered by a web service. After seeing all these, it often prompts in my mind that, pace of evolution of technologies are too quick to compete. :cry:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Agreed. It's overwhelming sometimes. I just get a handle on something like WS-Security and then turn around and there are 5 other new standards or best practice concepts/technologies that have to be considered! On the other hand, is it any different from any of the exploding technologies in our industry in the past [or current] (think about all the other revolutions from rdbms to OO to the web, RSS, instant messaging, etc.)?