Getting logged out during session

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Getting logged out during session

Post by ArndW »

In the past 2 days I've been going through threads and at some point during the session I get the login screen when clicking on a link; it seems my session has not only been lost but when I close the explorer window and re-open it to DSXchange it has forgotten my password. This has happened to me on differents PCs (both at home and at work). Has this happened to anyone else recently?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It happens to me a lot. I thought it was my fault.
Mamu Kim
sjhouse
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjhouse »

It happens to me every day. In fact, my first reponse to this went to the login screen. I reported this to Walter in December, but the issue is still unresolved. I haven't had a lot of time to follow up on it.

Stephen
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I noticed that behaviour only yesterday. So far its fine.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I haven't seen this. When you say 'clicking on a link' do you mean the normal navigation links for the site, or links people have posted inside threads? :?

If the latter, I've only seen that when someone is connected to 'dsxchange.com' rather than 'www.dsxchange.com' and they post a link without the 'www'. I 'hover' over a link now first to check and, if missing, copy the shortcut and add it back in myself, instead of clicking.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, it is normal navigational links; i.e. when I have the list of new posts and click on one to view it. Even though I've just looked at a previous one, I'll get the login screen again. If I close the window, reopen it at the top level then my login cookie is also gone and I need to re-enter the userid/password. Has happened 5 times now so it really isn't a frequent error.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

ArndW wrote:No, it is normal navigational links; i.e. when I have the list of new posts and click on one to view it. Even though I've just looked at a previous one, I'll get the login screen again. If I close the window, reopen it at the top level then my login cookie is also gone and I need to re-enter the userid/password. Has happened 5 times now so it really isn't a frequent error.
Happened with me as well, but only yesterday (02/01/2007). It's fine now.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

This happens to me only if I have logged into DSXchange and I initiate a remote connection to another computer.
Otherwise I do not face any problems.
Yes another thing which everybody know already is that you get logged off if you don't do any activity for a while.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I am beginning to see this more frequently. It used to be as narashima suggests only when surfing away from the site - even when following a link - but now it's in the middle of working through the postings.

From here it is many hops to the server, so I thought it may have been my network. Now I'm less convinced of that.

Is everyone using IE? Does the problem occur with one of the other browsers?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I am using IE. So far so good. I only experienced it yesterday.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

DSguru2B wrote:I am using IE. So far so good. I only experienced it yesterday.
Same here.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

IE 6, work and home, have not seen the issue that I recall.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Walter hates IE passionately, and uses only Firefox. So Walter may not be seeing the issue.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

More information.

I get reliably asked to login again when I choose Search from one of the forums, then choose a topic from the search results.

If I use the browser's Back button to return to the point from where I chose Search, I find that I am not logged out, and can continue as previously.

It seems to regard "Search" as an attempt to surf away from the site.

My workaround is to use a second browser window to perform searches.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Odd.. I don't see this issue at all, even when emulating Ray's method which actually is something I do fairly frequently. The only time I see it is when switching 'domains' - from 'www.dsxchange.com' to 'dsxchange.com' (or vice versa, technically) - they seem to require separate logins.

If you are using IE, have you upgraded to the IE 7 release? I, for the moment, purposefully have not.
-craig