Non Business content

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Non Business content

Post by rameshrr3 »

If anyone posts a link to NON IT or non business content , please mention it clearly.

One of the links posted on this thread was considered inappropriate content by the proxy server in the company. This erodes member's trust in the forum and will potentially compromise its value/trustworthiness.

Thanks
ramesh
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The title of the link made it abundantly clear the content on that link. The external site was a hobby site and was completely harmless. I'm not sure why some proxy servers rejected it, probably a blanket ban of the domain the site was on.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

I very well assumed it would be a harmless site ,even probably one of your blogs,but the one thing we can possibly do hence forth is to indicate external link. I got a crazy pop up warning me about the 'hazards' of accessing non business content. I couldnt access dsxchange from a previous client's internet because dsxchange was classified 'non-business' :roll: . No offense intended
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Rameshrr3,

I think that solution is not to stop DSXchange from linking to external sites, since it doesn't seem to affect the 10,000+ other users, including myself who is at a site that severely restricts internet access. Perhaps you could see that your censor software acts less choosy?

When following links, i.e. when looking for certain commands on the internet, I get at least one BIG RED FLASHING screen telling me how my potentially unsafe behaviour is being logged by the security department. This isn't necessarily the end of the world; and a request to have the relevant site unblocked is usually honored.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Alas, im not controlling the censor software. Nor am i asking to stop linking to other sites, the only thing that a poster can do is to indicate external link, so that the one who browses the thread decide at his discretion to open the link or not.NO saying when the IT security department decides its time to be grumpy.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... your other option, when in a situation like this, is to hover over the link first rather than simply click on it. You'll see the actual link in the lower status bar of your browser, or at least you will in IE - don't know about others like Firefox.

Then just don't click on it if it turns out to be an external link. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

For a while BearingPoint was blocked dsxchange as well and we had to submit a request to get it unblocked. Some work places block all forums. Hovering over a link is a good way to view the URL address before visiting, it works in Firefox as well.