Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Fatal error in DSXchange search

Post by narasimha »

I get this error while doing an "Exact Match" search on the keyword AT

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 103 bytes) in /home/www/dsxchange/search.php on line 516
Is the "Site/Forum" a good place to report errors on the DSXchange site?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, but an exact match will match every occurance of 'at' on the site, including inside other words as far as I know. So I'm assuming you just blew out the resources of the site's search engine.

Try including something else to narrow things down, like 'Windows at' or 'at command' perhaps. Or just knock it off. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

You guess is right Craig, got the same errors with frequently occuring words like of, the and so on.
The search does not handle such situation gracefully. :(
Figured out a work around for this - use quotes around the keyword to be searched i.e. 'AT' ( Even though it says it's not necessary)
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

Quotes (single or double) truly are not necessary to search an entire phrase, such as the words I have bolded here. Search for those words in "exact" mode (sans quotes) and you should get this topic in your results. :)

However, some words may be assisted by the quote marks IF AND ONLY IF there are actually occurences of the entire string, quotes included. In the case of the 'AT' command, this is true--in fact, this post is one of several in this topic that contains the string "'AT'".

Admittedly, the search page does not handle the situation well if you give it too big a mouthful to chew. This is an unfortunate limitation of computers: they simply refuse to budge if their brains are not up to the task--whereas I've known quite a few adult (and teenage) humans who appear to function normally even when their brains take an extended leave of absence. :D
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster