Some suggestion/changes for the forum...

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

NBALA
Participant

Some suggestion/changes for the forum...

Post by NBALA »

Hi,

After noticing the duplicate post (a issue posted by same person/team with different heading), misleading topics or any other issue related with forum usage. It seems this is happening with mostly new users/participants who wish post and get some help/suggestion for their issue.

To avoid this, to a certain extent..I wish to suggest the following changes.
Please share you thoughts.

1. If the user logs in first time.on the next page he should view a consolidated "sticky" like how to use this forum ( kind of terms condition and accept button).

2. If identified as duplicate post, It can be removed by moderator/admin or moderator can suggest the poster to delete his/her post.

3. Fixing the issue related to a misleading topics like "hi", "same problem" by renaming the post by moderator/admin or moderator can suggest the poster to rename his/her post and an option to rename.

Thanks
-NB
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

All well intentioned, but nothing we do can really keep people from doing things like that. Items number 2 and 3 are already in place but I don't believe all forums have a moderator. Plus there are rules for post deletion - you can only delete your post if there are no replies to it. Once someone replies - even with a request to delete the post - you can no longer delete it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote:there are rules for post deletion - you can only delete your post if there are no replies to it. Once someone replies - even with a request to delete the post - you can no longer delete it.
So that means, once a duplicate post is identified, do not reply to it if it needs to be deleted, even replying "Moderator, please delete duplicate post" will lock it from deleting.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I have seen other forums try to prevent duplicate posts by only letting someone post once every 30 seconds. This stops the double clicking / backspace / refresh accidents. It probably only needs to be turned on for new posts and not replies. It is rare to see duplicate replies and the submitter can usually spot it and remove the duplicate straight away.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've seen duplicate replies, but it is rare. Sometimes it is the result of impatience, what you referred to as 'double-clicking'. There have been times when I've been blessed with double or even triple replies when the site is especially slow or acting up through no fault of my own. And you may not even know it if you go back to the forum after submitting, moving on to others, rather than taking that one last look at your latest pearl of wisdom. :wink:

And yes, oh Guru 2B, that reply will force the need for the Moderator to come and do the dirty deed as it takes it out of the user's hand. I prefer to post a message in the 'good' or non-duplicate post and ask the OP to delete the other. However, this is usually foiled by someone else either answering in the other post or some kind hearted soul posting there asking for it to be deleted. :P
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

Can we increase the number of moderators. i am sure there will be plenty of people who will be willing to take up the job voluntarily.

In case of security issues. one moderator can be given full access to only one forum.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I Know Craig,what you are talking about. At times,i have been that 'kind hearted soul' :lol:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.