Ascential DeveloperNet sunsetting this month

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I agree... really really. As in bad. :roll:

No, "ours" aren't mirrored. Only the ones that specifically say they are mirrors of ibm.websphere.xxx seem to be. I just checked and don't see anything like that out there.

Besides, usenet? I'm lurking in certain forums there every day but most people wouldn't know usenet if it whacked them in the butt with a newsreader. Unless they think they are some kind of goofy web forum and get to them via Google or other web-based interfaces. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ugh... no indication of which posts are new since your last visit, you get to figure that out for yourself. And they screwed up the import of the old ADN posts, the formatting for things like bold and italics are all horked up. :evil:

I don't see myself spending alot of time over there anymore.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you provided any friendly feedback so that they can try to get it right? These guys are as new to what we do as you once were; if we can be constructive in our feedback we can make friends and maybe even influence people.

Sometimes you have to help them to help you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If I had any clue where to provide this 'friendly feedback' I certainly would.
-craig

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There are certain minor useability things that I think make or break a forum. For the old developernet the registration and login restrictions broke it and restricted it to 1/100th the volume of dsxchange. Getting a login was hard, once you had a login it did not automatically log you in and this was a disincentive for regular visiting.

The other useability that makes or breaks a forum is seeing the new posts since you last visited and as pointed out by Craig it is missing from Developerworks. I could not find one forum across any topic (including DB2 and WebSphere with massive user bases) that came anywhere close to the volume of dsxchange. The developerworks forums will not be popular until they are put on a modern forum base. It is surprising given IBM's commitment to open source that they haven't chosen a good open source forum product.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I did find a 'Feedback' link on the page and submitted my thoughts on all this to whomever, if anyone, reads such a thing. I'll post whatever comes of it.
-craig