Do you want posts marked when the issue is resolved?

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Poll ended at Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:24 am

1. Yes, via a check-box that is filter able in the search mechanism.
90%
2. Yes, another method (Pleas post a reply with your implementation suggestion)
6%
3. No, I prefer leaving things as they stand.
4%

Total votes: 124

roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi All,

As an active member of this forum and realizing the amount of posts are staggering as time progress one can't help noticing the difficulty in quickly finding an existing post with the solution for the issue encountered.

Baring in mind that chances are someone else has already encountered this issue, especially important for the new members.

So I guess it is only natural to think of a way to mark an issue as resolved so we spend less time reading dead-ended posts that were returned via the search mechanism.

Such a way may be implemented via a checkbox attribute for the post and naturally also implementing a related filter in the search mechanism.

The responsibility of this mark should be up to the poster or by moderator on member/s requests, at least for now.

(I know this issue was brought up before, but I truly think this poll might help to make a decision as to if and when this feature might be implemented)

Important Notice:
This poll does not express any declared or implied intention of the site and or its owners to implement this suggestion and only reflects the idea of the poster

Please vote to make your voice heard,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Yes, this should be a good idea.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Voted 'yes' as I think it's a good idea in principal, but... something else to maintain, get out of sync and/or not get set properly by people. Especially those that don't come back and bring closure to their topic.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I think thats an excellent idea. This way a person can go to those topics which were solved before hitting the other ones, that get returned during a search.
:P
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

I agree with Craig. People tend to ignore their posts once their doubts get solved. Who will mark them as solved?

I think we should force them to mark them as "resolved" by using a voting button prompting them everytime they login.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:
I think we should force them to mark them as "resolved" by using a voting button prompting them everytime they login.
Might not be good idea, what if there are some issues that are really unresolved, its kinda pain every time you login and just to bypass it OP will mark it as resolved.
However,it is a good idea to provide that option so that others can know if they have to respond to the post or not.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Marking stray topics (those that were forsaken by the original posters) with this or that status is a matter of member responsability.
The community can presure members to update their post status by posting a request to update status of old post befor replying to a new thread, but it is entirely up to us (the members) a a community to "kkep the peace" sort of speak.

I'd be happy to occasionally search for member request to mark this or that topic with an apropriate status much like is used to ask posts to be moved to the proper forum (we need to define a request format).

If people don't understand that it's up to them or in other words it is up to us all to make this a better place for ourselves.
In my book "better place" includes minimizing the effort and maximize the benefit = making the process of finding answers easy,fast and efficiant.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
aartlett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aartlett »

While a check box to indicate the topic is closed, I think there should be a finalise option by the original poster detailing the solution that worked (even if it's referring back to a particular poster).

I was looking for some information on UV lookups and while there are hundreds of posts, and lots exectactly what I was looking for, most of them ended with (to paraphrase) "got it working, thanks guys" when there might have been 3 - 4 options posted and 2-3 refer to other searches. Very frustrating.
Andrew

Think outside the Datastage you work in.

There is no True Way, but there are true ways.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

I dont think we should expect the user to put in so much effort specially after he got his resolution. I dont think its a practical suggestion.

Rememeber there are not many users which are regular here like us. and i gues most of the queries are posted by newbies. who will take the responsibility of maing them explain and close their requests properly?

Won't it be adding a overhead to the users?

I think only the flag should be fine
aartlett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aartlett »

Krazykoolrohit,
I agree it's an overhead which is why I mentioned optional.

I think it will enormously to the benifit of searches if resolutions are posted. Then some enterprising person copuld build a wikki or FAQ out of it :)

If search results resulted in less ambiguous answers then we can in more confidence tell them to RTFS results.
Andrew

Think outside the Datastage you work in.

There is no True Way, but there are true ways.