Quoting entire messages

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Quoting entire messages

Post by ArndW »

Would it make sense to add a popup-window when people do a reply-quote to a message stating something like
There is no need to quote entire messages, use of this function should be limited to editing the quoted text and removing excess words. A quote should only be used to highlight parts of a message. Unlike older systems, this site shows all messages in a thread so there is no need to copy entire posts in replies.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I think this was necessary. Its been happening a lot in the recent past.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DSguru2B wrote:I think this was necessary. Its been happening a lot in the recent past.
I agree :D. C'mon I double-dare you to quote my message with your quote :twisted:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ArndW wrote: I agree :D.
Yes Arnd you were saying something :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ArndW wrote:
DSguru2B wrote:I think this was necessary. Its been happening a lot in the recent past.
I agree :D. C'mon I double-dare you to quote my message with your quote :twisted:
It truly isn't necessary. Of course, were you a disk space vendor, you'd probably make over-quoting mandatory. But it's frowned upon in every technical forum in which I participate.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

I guess quoting started with the 1 time posters that later edited their original post making no scense of the replies they got.

Never the less I also agree there is no need to quote more then is needed for the answer.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's also a mechanism for a Premium user to expose Premium content to the world - intentionally or not.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers