Multiple methods in an RTI job?

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Multiple methods in an RTI job?

Post by chulett »

I have three rather complex SOA / RTI enabled jobs that I've inherited. They implement just the functionality that the design specs called for - all basically take XML input and perform a complex series of database changes. My question is around a new bit of functionality being requested.

"They" would like to start monitoring all web services in the company, including these three. To that end, they have requested that a new 'method' be added to each job that is basically an 'IsAlive' check. It could be something as simple as a method that returns 'true' when called or just does a 'select 1 from dual' on the target database.

Is this doable in an SOA job and if so, how? It would need to accept two different forms of XML, two different xsds it would seem. And branching to other transforms plus some sort of 'collector' activity as a job can only support one RTI Output stage, I believe. :?

If anyone has supported multiple methods in their RTI jobs, or has any suggestions on another way this could be approached, I'd appreciate hearing them. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
:idea: I wonder would verifying that you have x instances up from each job do the trick?

No access to RTI right now :(

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, not really. They can be running but not accessible for a number of reasons, some on the RTI Server side and some on the RTI Agent side. For example, we've already seen times where everything is running except for the RTI Agent daemon on the ETL server and without that nothing works.

Need some way to ask the services them selves if they are alive or not.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Ok,
What about having an AmIAlive DSJob.
If you get an answer from it your good if not ...

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org