Can we expect detail responses?

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Detailed responses depend on the question, time available to the premium poster, and the general interest in responding. Why should we repeat what we've often answered so many times? Why should we waste time on what someone could answer for themselves by reading the manual or searching this forum? We're not a quick answer guide for lazy persons either. We are not here as a substitute for training. If we can point out a page in the manual that covers things in detail with pretty pictures, why can't we point that out?

I think you can see from this forum that we do give detailed answers, and we do invest a lot of personal time in answering questions. We have high expectations that folks out there are also willing to ponder, research on their own, and share in a discussion. If someone asks "how do I use hash files best", we're going to not spend a lot of time going over things available in newletters, posts, and whitepapers. If someone says "what's the advantage to a type 19 over a type 30 hash file", than we we probably cover that in a little more detail.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's possibly not been made explicitly clear, but we do have the capacity to make "non premium" responses. I have added a few of these already, when a brief, non-technical response was adequate.

All of the premium posters are honest enough not to hide the kind of message New2DS worries about as premium content. Not unless it's part of a longer technical discussion, anyway!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

New2DS,

If a question has been asked and answered many times before then no matter what the status or level of the poster the answer should be "please use the search facility" or "see post xxxx". Being a premium member does not mean that one doesn't need to check the forum for prior answers.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Just so you'll know
I usually spend minimum 10 minutes (if I only find a few posts) myself searching befor I post a question myself (once I've searched for around 1 hour till I found my answer from bits and pieces fo several posts)

So as you can see Searching for answers before posting questions is the foundation for an easier, more efective and shorter search time, simply by reducing the number of new posts to the required ones and not making many posts that were already answered several times.

I can only add : "search and you will find"
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org