DSXChange forum software "Search" functionality

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

DSXChange forum software "Search" functionality

Post by ArndW »

I have noticed this in the past but never really worried about it, but it happened today when I was looking for previous posts :evil:

:arrow: If you go into "search", fill in the string DSSetDisableJobHandler and hit the search button at the bottom you will get no results.

If you do the same thing but click on the "exact match" button, you will get 4 matches (and since I used the string in this quote the count will now be 5 :D )

This doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Shouldn't an exact match search be even more restrictive than a general search?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Walter Hardeman explained this awhile ago... probably before your time began here, Grasshopper. :wink:

It may have something to do with the fact that, once a word has pased a certain usage threshold, it will no longer show up in the normal search. It's built into the forum software to prevent massive hits on common words, or something like that. Now, I don't think 4 (or now 5) occurances should have triggered it, but who knows. Maybe there is a list of keywords it uses, too. :?

This is exactly why Walter added the 'exact match' option. Heck, I think there is even a post somewhere that announces that functionality. And yes, in general it should be more restrictive, but in cases like this it... isn't.

Edit: This is the post I was thinking of.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

I think Craig is pretty close to the mark here, but it's the other side of the coin this time.

The wondrousness of phpBB usually overshadows any disadvantages it may have. However, the search mechanic is one of the things that leave me puzzled from time to time. In this case, I believe the board is actually interpreting strings like 'DSSetDisableProjectHandler' as poorly-typed junk instead of a proper word meant to be indexed for searching.

The reason "exact" search works, however, is because I wrote that code myself, knowing full well that our loyal members would want...nay, NEED such important key words to be indexed. The ability to search an "exact phrase" was noticably lacking from phpBB, and some folks around here can get testy when they search for "datastage job" and get no matches... :D

Hope that clears it up a bit more. Happy posting!

Walter
You either have way too much time on your hands or your screen resolution is way too low. =P
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

You either have way too much time on your hands or your screen resolution is way too low. =P
Nerd.