Appropriate forum for Version Control?

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Appropriate forum for Version Control?

Post by chulett »

I've just gone through a 6 -> 7 upgrade (painless, BTW and 7 is sweet) and have some questions about Version Control. Some will be "help!" type messages as the interface is completely different and I'm somewhat at a loss as to how to use the darn thing now. :oops:

I'd also like to post some "suggestions" for corrections or changes to certain aspects of the new version. Is the "Enhancement Wish List" forum a good place for stuff like that? Does it make it back to The Powers That Be?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since VC was written by and, by arrangement with Ascential, is maintained by, the good folks who bring you this forum, there's a good chance that ideas you post here will get back to those who need to know. :)
On the other hand, requests for enhancements should really go through "the proper channels". This way the left hand continues to know what the right hand is doing.
When next DSXChange gets a makeover, maybe there's scope for a Version Control section.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's good to know. While I was aware of the original creators of VC, having actually purchased it from them back in the 4.x days, I thought Ascential was doing the maintenance since acquiring it.

Nice to know it is in good hands. 8)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Editor

Post by Editor »

Sorry Craig, I didn't chime in earlier. Yes, we created VC with the veiled cooperation of Ardent. (meaning they didn't choose to write anything themselves in that area since a third party solution was available. They purchased it from us, frankly because it was a big advantage in sales situations over the INFA.) Since then, we have provided second and third level support and will do so until Sept 04, unless something in the next releases doesn't happen as planned. And for that same reason, not much additional coding or modification is likely to the current instance of VC. Yes, we completely re-wrote VC at release 7 on hopes we could add check in/out and diffs and other features. By then, Ascential had purchased Torrent and the whole framework of future development turned that direction. It is VERY hard to write comprehensive plug-ins to DataStage any more as their long term goals are quite inclusive and effect all levels. Short answer is likely "what you see, is what you get" in release 7, and we can have the 'guys' here respond as well, but I think over in the ADN, you might ask what's coming and get a better picture.

if you think it would help, we will likely create a forum for Parameters (PM) and also include questions of Version Control. It might help get future releases closer to the answer for everyone.

Dennis.