Connecting to DB2 using DB2 Enterprise Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

StefanFrost
Participant

Connecting to DB2 using DB2 Enterprise Stage

Post by StefanFrost »

Hi!

I have a problem regarding connectivity to a DB2 instance on a separate LPAR and I wish to use the DB2 Enterprise Stage. Currently we are using DB2 Enterprise Stage within whom we've specified the name of the DB2 Instance which recides on the same LPAR. This works great, however we have a demand upon us to have DB2 on a separate LPAR and I don't know how to make DB2 Enterprise Stage connect to it!?!

A workaround would be to use DB2 API or DB2 Load togheter with DB2 Connect but surely there must be another way! Please help...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a 22 page document available from IBM support that describes setting up for remote DB2 access. That there's 22 pages ought to suggest that the process is non-trivial. You will also need to talk to your sales rep about getting an additional copy of DataStage to run on the DB2 machine - this should come at no cost, because they have to supply it to fix what they've admitted is a bug in the DB2 Enterprise stage's mechanism for accessing remote DB2 databases. Perhaps someone ought to ask "them" to upload a copy to the DeveloperNet download site?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ray,
Wouldnt he require federate links to link between the two databases?
Correct me if i am wrong.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's one of those wonderful "it depends" questions. Get the document and see which technique is most appropriate.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
StefanFrost
Participant

Post by StefanFrost »

Thanks for the input! I'll guess i will try and find that document and see what input it will give me...
StefanFrost
Participant

Post by StefanFrost »

Feedback....

We solved the issue by DB2 documentation specifing the use of DB2 Connect mapping remote db2 as local db2, not using federated databases, just plain node configuration.