Project getting locked

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mchivuku
Participant

Project getting locked

Post by mchivuku »

Hi
"
When I am running a job I get below error :

ACCESS DENIED: Project currently locked. The project is currently locked by Administrator. Try again or see your Administrator
"

Does anyone has an idea why this error comes.

regards

Murali
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

This can occur if someone is performing an administrative task that requires exclusive access to the Repository.

If that process was interrupted (killed) then the lock may continue to be held, though spuriously. Restarting DataStage may help.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
You mean to say, you are getting this at mid of job flow?
Is it for all the jobs you run or only of a specific job?
As per Ray, was there any admistrative task going on?

-Kumar
mchivuku
Participant

Post by mchivuku »

kumar_s wrote:Hi,
You mean to say, you are getting this at mid of job flow?
Is it for all the jobs you run or only of a specific job?
As per Ray, was there any admistrative task going on?

-Kumar
Hi,

This is for all jobs. No administrative task was going on when I found this error. However, there was a single user id being used to access all the jobs from different places at the same time. Could this be a cause??

However the problem died down itself after sometime without having to restart the DS server.

Thanks

Murali
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

HI,
Its fine that the issue didnt sustained.
Accessing multiple client with single fully qualified user id shouldnt be an issue. Restriction liscience would lead to different log message.
BTW what is the maximum number of user accessed the server concurrently?

-Kumar
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

HI,

I remember getting this error. We opened the lock configuration file and tried to change the parameter but it did not work.

We restarted the server. This solved the issue

Regards
Sreeni
Vishvas
Participant

Post by Vishvas »

We had the same problem. We could not login into the director or start any jobs. We stoped some of the jobs that were running and everything became normal.

Regards,
Vishvas
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Kumar,
Can you please provide the error message that you would get due to restricted licences.
Background:
In our case can we have 7 licenced users we can open up to only 7 sessions, when the 8th user tries to log in he gets an error message same error as murali mentions that the project is locked by the administrator.
M.T.Anwer
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
-Aiden Nowlan
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Kumar,
Let me rephrase the background again:
In our case we have 7 licences so we can open up to only 7 concurrent sessions, when the 8th user tries to log in he gets the same error as murali mentions that the project is locked by the administrator.
M.T.Anwer
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
-Aiden Nowlan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I would expect to see "license count exceeded" error message in this case.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:evil: Must be something going around - I'm seeing this issue for the first time today. Existing connections are fine, but any attempt to create a new connection is greeted with the 'Project is locked' message.

It's not a license issue, as noted there is a specific message from that we've seen before. I'm wondering if this is a resource issue, or a confusion in the engine or what? I'm hoping to find some other course of action other than kick everyone off and bounce DataStage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there an error code with the message? If so you might get more information out of the SYS.MESSAGE table. Or out of the Errors and Remedies manual reported to be part of Hawk.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Unfortunately, there isn't. You get an error dialogue that basically says:

Code: Select all

ACCESS DENIED: Project has been locked by the Administrator. Try again later or check with your Administrator
From memory, but that's basically that's what it says. Problem is - I is the Administrator and I sure as heck didn't lock it and wasn't performing any administration tasks of any kind.

Ended up having to kick everyone off and bouncing the server. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dsusr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Project getting locked

Post by dsusr »

mchivuku wrote:Hi
"
When I am running a job I get below error :

ACCESS DENIED: Project currently locked. The project is currently locked by Administrator. Try again or see your Administrator
"

Does anyone has an idea why this error comes.

regards

Murali
Hi Murali,

There can be many reasons for getting this error. One of the main reason due to which we have faced this error in our project is the number of open connections were going beyond 50 so whenever a person even tried to open any client he will recieve this error.

To check how many connections are open type the following command
ps-ef|grep dscs|wc -l

You can kill the old connections using unix kill command. Also this setting of 50 is somewhat related to the some parameters for DataStage ( MFILES or NOFILES )

Regards
dsusr
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sounds like they've changed the message (I've been on a 7.0 site for a couple of weeks). Has anyone had a response from support provider about what might cause this?
If it occurs because of client licensing, you (the administrator) can check the DS_LICENSE table to see which client machines are actually connected. This will also give you the PID of their associated dsapi_slave process (or maybe dsapi_server). So you have a more accurate idea of whom to kill. (Anyone remember Serge the Seal?)