Unable to start Director

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

friday
Participant

Unable to start Director

Post by friday »

Hi,

I have install datastage and Director doesn't start. In the windows task manager it says "Not Responding" and it use my all CPU (99%). The connection to my server seems to work because i can see all the projects available but as soon as i press "ok". Nothing happens, the Ascential splash screen doesn't dissappear and director never start.

Someone encounter something similar?

thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Can you call up the administrator , designer or manager? Or do you have the same problem there? Is the server and the client on the same Windows machine? If both are on the same machine, which process is eating up 100% of the CPU - the director client or some other process?
friday
Participant

Post by friday »

designer and administrator works fine. Manager has the same problem as director.

the server and the client are on different machine. I have a windows client and the server is on Unix.
rhys.jones@target.com
Participant

Post by rhys.jones@target.com »

Since this is Windows, you can use the tried and true method of reboot!

Seriously, did you happen to install the Multi-Client Manager? If so, open that up, select the version that you have installed and change to that version (even if it's already selected). This goes through and registers all your libraries again, so sometimes self-corrects problematic installs. If that doesn't work, you may just have to reinstall.
friday
Participant

Post by friday »

rhys.jones@target.com wrote:Since this is Windows, you can use the tried and true method of reboot!

Seriously, did you happen to install the Multi-Client Manager? If so, open that up, select the version that you have installed and change to that version (even if it's already selected). This goes through and registers all your libraries again, so sometimes self-corrects problematic installs. If that doesn't work, you may just have to reinstall.
reboot, re-install... already tried many times. Multi -Client manage... didn't install it. i'll try to install the multi-client manager and do what you suggest...
friday
Participant

Post by friday »

i don't have admin rights on my pc... unable to install multi-client manager :cry:
rhys.jones@target.com
Participant

Post by rhys.jones@target.com »

Is it working on any other desktops? How about on a different project? That may indicate whether the problem is just on your computer, or with a specific project, or possibly with the Unix server.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Is the server side a fresh install?

If the server side is NOT a fresh install, then the problems are either:

1. Your new PC install is bad
2. The project is LARGE and you're not waiting long enough for it to open
3. The project is corrupted

#2 is easy to figure out, can anyone else connect to the project? If they can get in, the problem is #1.

#3 is easy to figure out, can anyone else connect to the project? If they cannot get in, the problem is #3.

If your PC install is bad, you're going to have a fun time figuring out what is the issue.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
friday
Participant

Post by friday »

just tried on another pc and everything is working...

i guess i'm gonna have a really fun time
friday
Participant

Post by friday »

ok... since my Director is not startable and I don't know long it will take tech support to fix it... i would love to take holidays but i guess my boss wont be very happy about it 8)

anyway, is there any other way that i can access the log? I have a windows client and the server is on Unix.

the show must go on

thx!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Friday,

reinstall DataStage on your PC as Ken suggested. You can use the command line options of "dsjob" from Windows; but it would be easier to borrow a colleague's PC
friday
Participant

Post by friday »

ArndW wrote:Friday,

reinstall DataStage on your PC as Ken suggested.

re-install many many times already... director and manager still jammed :cry:
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Un-installing might not be enough. Make sure the files are really gone from the directories and that the registry entries are all removed. Also, is your PC up-to-date with all the service packs?
friday
Participant

Post by friday »

my pc is up to day.

you're probably right, soemthing might have been corrupted in the resgistry... i'm no pro in registry. Tech support re-initate my pc image and everything is working fine now.

thanks everyone!
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Well first to install DataStage Client you need Admin rights so you mus have had it even for Multi-Client Manager....DataStage install quickly tells you you don;t have Admin rights....

But barring that I would say your Windows Registry (regedit at command line) needs to delete Ascential in the Software section....then reinstall.....If this scares you then see your Administrator for help....I bet you have some linguring issues there impacting execution of GUI's