Lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vcannadevula
Charter Member
Charter Member

Lookup

Post by vcannadevula »

Hi All,

I have a requirement where I have code for each column in source data table in a lookup table. While populating the target table , I have to look for code of each column and populate the code and related column data as a record into target table.
Please let me know if anybody have any ideas

Thank You
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello vcannadevula,

from your description it looks like you are doing multiple lookups, one per column. This is basic ETL and DataStage technology and is covered in every PDF, sample, tutorial as well as in the forum; so I will assume that this is not what you are asking. Could you perhaps explain a bit more as to what you are trying to do and what your problem was in attempting to do it?
vcannadevula
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by vcannadevula »

Hello Arndw,

This is how it works....

Source
scol1 (is key) ,scol2, scol3 ,scol4

Reference
rcol1 ( code), rcol2(has scol names except scol1)

Target
scol1, rcol1(code for each col in source), scol value for particular code.

So we are splitting each record in source to multiple records and we have lookup table with code assigned to each column name in the source.
Right now we are having seperate job to populate each column , but I would like to know if we can achieve this with single job.

Thank You

ArndW wrote:Hello vcannadevula,

from your description it looks like you are doing multiple lookups, one per column. This is basic ETL and DataStage technology and is covered in every PDF, sample, tutorial as well as in the forum; so I will assume that this is not what you are asking. Could you perhaps explain a bit more as to what you are trying to do and what your problem was in attempting to do it?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can split the original source into multiple rows using, for example, a Copy stage or a Transformer stage. Then performing separate lookups on separate streams is straightforward.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.