Initiating a unix script

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DawnT
Participant

Initiating a unix script

Post by DawnT »

This question goes along with the e-mail from RStone posted March 3, 2005. Is there a way for Datastage to communicate with Unix to initiate a script?
sachinkc
Participant

Re: Initiating a unix script

Post by sachinkc »

Read about\search for DSExecute in help pdfs or this forum. There are other ways too, but this is a good starting point.
- Sachin
DawnT wrote:This question goes along with the e-mail from RStone posted March 3, 2005. Is there a way for Datastage to communicate with Unix to initiate a script?
Rgrds & Cheers!

Sachin
sachin@operamail.com
~Life always finds a way~
s1kaasam
Participant

Post by s1kaasam »

In version 7.5 I have used the external filter stage to initiate or call a shell script from datastage
shravan
T42
Participant

Re: Initiating a unix script

Post by T42 »

DawnT wrote:This question goes along with the e-mail from RStone posted March 3, 2005. Is there a way for Datastage to communicate with Unix to initiate a script?
Yes. There are a number of methods that you could use (before job, after job, ExecSH, execute command, et cetera) to call scripts.

Please feel free to use the search tool to find out more about what I mentioned above, or scan your pdf manuals.

We can be much more helpful if you can be a bit more specific on what you need to have done.
DawnT
Participant

Initiating or calling a shell script

Post by DawnT »

I need to have the "set integrity" script run. To initiate or call a shell script in Datastage, would I have to have DBA privilege to do this?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
ask your DBAs about required privilages for the script (it depend on what it runs and who better then them to ask?.

you got some good answers regarding invoking an OS command from with in DS.

on top of them, basicly you can run the script with a user having the required privilages, or have sysadins make the script run as a user having them and so on; on top of that if you need some sql run you can do it directly via the user defined sql or stored procedure stage and so on.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

This is not really a DataStage question. This is more of a "How does things work in this company" question, where administrators, your managers, and other peers would have FAR better answers than us here on DSXchange.

Even the pro know to ask the people within the company.
gh_amitava
Participant

Post by gh_amitava »

T42,

Please try to give your answer politely. Somebody may ask some basic question and if you have problem with those, then simply avoid them.

:D

Regards
~Amitava
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

gh_amitava wrote:T42,

Please try to give your answer politely. Somebody may ask some basic question and if you have problem with those, then simply avoid them.

:D

Regards
~Amitava
IMHO:
I don't think T42 ment anything offending there, just some simple facts which obviously were interpreted by you as not polite.
In any case messages like theese are best sent as a private message not a post.

(hmm does this mean I should have sent this via a private message not a post?! - yes it does if ou get my drift :))
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
DKostelnik
Participant

Post by DKostelnik »

Here is the issue:

DataStage allows you to run the DB2 LOAD command with full knowledge that tables can go into a check pending state because of the command. Yet, apparently DataStage does not provide a solution to this common issue. There should be a simple method of running a set integrity command without having to jump through any hoops.

If a job has the authority to load a table, then it has the authority to process a set integrity command against that table. If other tables are involved, then it is a matter of giving the user permissions to run the command.

To have to go outside of DataStage to provide this basic database functionality seems out of line to me (being a DBA). There is a hole in the product that needs to be fixed.
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations
StageZilla
Participant

Post by StageZilla »

To have to go outside of DataStage to provide this basic database functionality seems out of line to me (being a DBA). There is a hole in the product that needs to be fixed.
Correct, and it should also be posted on the Wishlist
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
DKostelnik
Participant

Set Integrity

Post by DKostelnik »

Added to the wish list. Tanks for pointing that out - I adminster the Ascential product line but don't develop DataStage jobs, so I am rarely in here. I design, implement, and maintain databases - and help the DS Developers.
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations
StageZilla
Participant

Post by StageZilla »

I design, implement, and maintain databases - and help the DS Developers.
Ah, Keep up the good work :D
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.