DataStage error: Unable to bind socket to uvrpc port.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bsreenu
Participant

DataStage error: Unable to bind socket to uvrpc port.

Post by bsreenu »

Hi,

When I started my DSRPC service on my system (Windows XP Prof),
getting error "DataStage error: Unable to bind socket to uvrpc port. WSA error: 10038." Now I can not connect to DS server and I can not work on datastage anymore. Can someone please suggest me How to get rid of this problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm surprised that the message mentioned uvrpc if you're really using 7.x as claimed in your DataStage release information. I'm equally surprised that you claim to be using PX on Windows; you can only design PX jobs on Windows - you can neither compile nor run them on this platform.

The RPC mechanism listens on a specific port number (31438 for uvrpc, 31538 for dsrpc) for requests from clients.

If it can't bind this port when starting the service (daemon, in case you're really on UNIX), this message is generated. It usually indicates that the port has not been released, for example you've had a connected DataStage client when DataStage has been shut down.

On Windows there aren't too many remedies; the tools to release bound ports simply don't exist. You're pretty much up for the "Microsoft solution" (that is, to re-boot the server).

On UNIX you can investigate the situation with the netstat utility, and you can adjust the default TCP timeout. Search the forum for netstat and you will discover more information. Of course, if you're really on Windows, none of it will be useful. :cry:
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bsreenu
Participant

Post by bsreenu »

I have installed Datastage 7.0 on my personal laptop. I have been running server jobs without any problem. But all of sudden this problem was started.
I had shutdown and restrted the system and also re-installed DS 7.0,but no use.

I see 2 errors in event viewer:

1. Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - A required privilege is not held by the client. for C:\Documents and Settings\barla srinivas\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrClass.dat

2. Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - A required privilege is not held by the client.

Right after this, the problem started. The client is unable to connect to server. Is the above 2errors are the root cause and How to solve this?

Any ideas please post it here. Thanks..!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, besides the fact that we're in the wrong forum and you've marked this as an issue with PX jobs, you've got a Windows problem not a DataStage problem. :?

You need to take some of the keywords of the messages you've posted and slap them into Microsoft's online Knowledge Base and see what turns up. For starters it seems like you are using a 'Limited' account when you should be using one with more privledges.

Other things to worry about might be any other applications or updates that you've installed just before this started 'all of a sudden'. I wouldn't even worry about DataStage running or not until these other problems are solved.

The Microsoft Support Newsgroups might be a better place to look for help with issues like this.

At worst case, you could always fall back on the standard MS solution to problems like this - reinstalling your operating system. :roll:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You must be a member of the Administrators group to perform any DataStage administrative tasks.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.