Transformer Stage Vs Filter Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vigneshra
Participant

Transformer Stage Vs Filter Stage

Post by vigneshra »

Hi

In our project, we have a requirement like we need to forward records from one table to 7 other tables based on the value of a date column. If date falls in range1 then it should go to table 1 or if it falls in range2 then it should go to table 2 and so on. Which stage performs well in this case TRANSFORMER or FILTER ?? :roll: The data we are handling is in the range nearing billion. All your suggestions welcome.

Vignesh.
dsxdev
Participant

Post by dsxdev »

For small operations like this Filter would be a better option.
Transformer is more robust than a Filter Stage. :D
Happy DataStaging
dsxdev
Participant

Post by dsxdev »

Hi,
if you already have a transformer doing the transformations
added to those you need to split the records based on the range of a column value then better you implement this in transformer using Link Constraints and Stage Variables.
Happy DataStaging
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

Infact no other transformations involved. It is a straight pull from source table to 7 target tables based on the date range. So can I assume that filter stage gives a better performance.

Vignesh.
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

I tried using filter stage for doing this but ended up in the job abortion due to incorrect syntax in where clause. I explain you li'l bit more. Here in this job, we are passing the date parameter values to the job through a unix script. One of the columns input to the filter stage is a date column which is compared against these parameters. The input column is TRANSACTION_DATE and it is compared against the parameters like (TABLE1_START_DATE and TABLE1_END_DATE), (TABLE2_START_DATE and TABLE2_END_DATE) and so on.

Can I know the exact syntax for putting in where clause..

I put like
TRANSACTION_DATE BETWEEN #TABLE1_START_DATE# AND #TABLE1_END_DATE#

TRANSACTION_DATE BETWEEN #TABLE2_START_DATE# AND #TABLE2_END_DATE#

and so on.........

But the job got aborted. Please throw me some light on this.
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

I got it folks !! I put the syntax here. May be it will be of use to someone.

TRANSACTION_DATE BETWEEN '#TABLE1_START_DATE#' AND '#TABLE1_END_DATE#'

Thanks !!
Vignesh.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi Vignesh,

The ans is simple but great .
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

Still the question remains. If there is a situation where either transformer or filter can be used, which one to choose ?? I came across a document stating that using transformer is expensive. If so, in what way is it expensive ?? Ray, Craig, Burney, Bland, Duke and other DataStage Gurus, can you give a pleasing answer to this question ??