warining while using hash paritioning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lakshmipriya
Participant

warining while using hash paritioning

Post by lakshmipriya »

While i am using a hash partioning either in join or a sort following a join has the following warning

[img]When%20checking%20operator:%20Operator%20of%20type%20"APT_TSortOperator":%20Will%20partition%20despite%20preserve-partitioning%20flag%20on%20dataset%20on%20input%20port%200[/img]

This has the input from three datasets

Could anyhow can help me out
Lakshmi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The engineering philosophy of DataStage is to log warnings wherever something occurs that does - or even might - cause errors in data. I guess in this way they indemnify the software from being blamed when these errors occur.

There is no mechanism to prevent these warnings from being generated and logged - as I said, it's their philosophy. They do provide filters on the log view, so you can suppress the display of warnings if you like, but you can't stop them from being logged in the first place.

And, I would suggest, any request to have this capability added to the product would meet with polite refusal, citing the reasons I have given above.

In your particular case you are being informed that, although a link property has "preserve partitioning" property set, the stage type requires a specific partitioning algorithm which is not satisfied by the current partitioning on that link, so the data will be re-partitioned on the fly.

It's given as a warning rather than an informational message because the operators are performing a task other than the one that the developer actually - and incorrectly - specified.

Removing the "preserve partitioning" setting should make the warning go away.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsxdev
Participant

Re: warining while using hash paritioning

Post by dsxdev »

lakshmipriya wrote:While i am using a hash partioning either in join or a sort following a join has the following warning

[img]When%20checking%20operator:%20Operator%20of%20type%20"APT_TSortOperator":%20Will%20partition%20despite%20preserve-partitioning%20flag%20on%20dataset%20on%20input%20port%200[/img]

This has the input from three datasets

Could anyhow can help me out
When ever you partion data on input link to a stage and the Partion property in the advance tab of the previoues Stage is set to default(propagate) or propagate then, thia warning is generated.

This happens because Stage preceeded by join Stage is tryinf to preserve the partioning order but the join Stage is repartioning. This is a potential error that might occur or the result may not be as expected.

Solution is set "Preserve partion" to clear in Stage 1 and work.
Happy DataStaging
lakshmipriya
Participant

Post by lakshmipriya »

Thabnks for the response actually for my previous query it got solved by
the similar kind of warning i am getting over again and again in diiferent form

buffer(7): When checking operator: Operator of type "APT_BufferOperator": Will partition despite preserve-partitioning flag on dataset on input port 0[/quote]

for this warning where i should clear the propagation i am using a sorter and a transformer before, when i tried to clear the parition it doesnt owrk well
Lakshmi
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

I think Lakshmi needs to revisit her post or reply before she clicks submit. Lot of spelling mistakes !! Juz kidding :)

You need to change the preserve partition flag to clear at the place where it is throwing warning. But as you said, the warning sometimes will not be state precisely on which place it refers to. Just traverse through your job design and find where all that repartition happens and try by clearing the flag. That warning will vanish !!!

Vignesh.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi Priya,

I think the same topic we covered many times. Please check previous post.

Thanks
man