modify operator

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srikanthd1978
Charter Member
Charter Member

modify operator

Post by srikanthd1978 »

guys,

does anyone know weather we can use two embedded explicit conversion functions in one specification in a modify operator.. i have tried this but the modify operator gives an error..

..moreover i have also observed the when i do an implicit data type conversion which is legal..i get a warning in my log..saying that the implicit conversion is being made...

any thought on this..

thanks,
srikanth.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

What is your requirement? Please post clearly. I think you are trying to convert implicit conversion datatype.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Srikanth,

There was a discussion quite some time back on the ADN where the conclusion made was - you cannot have 2 coversions in the same specification in the modify stage.

For your 2nd question - modify stage can be used for explicit conversions. If you want to do implicit conversion you have to use the Copy stage.

HTH
--Rich

Pride comes before a fall
Humility comes before honour
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The engineering philosophy of DataStage is to log warnings wherever something occurs that does - or even might - cause errors in data. I guess in this way they indemnify the software from being blamed when these errors occur.

There is no mechanism to prevent these warnings from being generated and logged - as I said, it's their philosophy. They do provide filters on the log view, so you can suppress the display of warnings if you like, but you can't stop them from being logged in the first place.

And, I would suggest, any request to have this capability added to the product would meet with polite refusal, citing the reasons I have given above.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cbrandel
Participant

Post by cbrandel »

Hi all,

actually for the modify Operator/Stage You can supress warnings. Just add another "Specification=nowarn" to the stage. That should supress warnings. However, one would have to look in the "Orchestrate OEM Docs" to find this option...

Regards,
Chris