Warning: Job control error (-4)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

smohamme
Participant

Warning: Job control error (-4)

Post by smohamme »

I am getting the following warning. Can anyone please tell me exactly what is happening. This is happening at least 4 times during this sequence run with different RT_LOGs.
Job name:pxseqWeeklyMaster
Event #:1740
Timestamp:09/16/2004 5:58:54 PM
Event type:Warning
User::local:
pxseqWeeklyMaster..JobControl (DSGetLogEntry): Job control error (-4)
(DSGetLogEntry) Event number 0 not found in RT_LOG258
(DSGetLogEntry) Cannot find log event with id '0'
smohamme
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you, or is anyone else in the organization, clearing log files using CLEAR.FILE? This is a common cause of this problem.

Clearing the log file using Director, on the other hand, guarantees that there's a first entry (the one that reports that the log was cleared).

What's happening is that the control records //JOB.STARTED.NO and //NEXT.SEQUENCE (or, specifically, the absence of them) are reporting that there is an event number 0 in the log, but no such event can be found.

Resetting the job may also help. It also has the benefit of cleaning up any wave numbers that are no longer required from the status records.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.