Null convertion convertion warning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lakshmipriya
Participant

Null convertion convertion warning

Post by lakshmipriya »

Hi

while trying to creat a new column(SEQ_I) in the DB2 Enterprise stage and defining it as a not null column it is showig the warning as follows:

When checking operator: When binding output interface field "SEQ_I" to field "SEQ_I": Converting nullable source to non-nullable result; fatal runtime error could occur (use modify operator to specify value to which null should be converted)

How to solve this warning?
Lakshmi
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Lakshmi,

As the warning specifies use a Modify stage and use the following specification

output_column=handle_null(input_column, value to be used if null);

Why do you want to create an additional field in the DB2 stage.

Also pls explain clearly what you are trying to achieve.

Rgds
--Rich

Pride comes before a fall
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The warning is one of those generated by DataStage to indicate that you *could* have a problem; your input column is defined as nullable (and therefore might have nulls) while your output column is defined as non nullable (and therefore can not handle nulls).

Either define the input column as not nullable, or put in a handle_null function as Rich suggested.

Unless actual nulls occur in your input data, this is one of those warnings that can be noted and disregarded.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vbeeram
Participant

Post by vbeeram »

Hi Lakshmi,

You can use default value for Null Column.If you check in properties of DB2 Enterprize stage you will have default value property for null column,there mention zero.

thanks
Thirupath Reddy