Write to excel with password protected mode

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

synsog
Premium Member
Premium Member

Write to excel with password protected mode

Post by synsog »

Hi Team,

is it possible to create excel file with password protected. i know we can read password protocted excel with unstructured stage but while creating excel with unstructured stage not having options to create with password protected.

Anyone knows about it

Thanks in advance
ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ShaneMuir »

UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

but if the data is in a simple format you can write an encrypted csv, or you can write excel format into a protected folder that only authorized users can touch (datastage needs write but not read access here if you fear internal mischief). If neither of those options work, you may need to write a program that can open excel, protect it, and close it and run the file through that at the end of your job ... which might be tricky on servers that are not windows, but it should be possible if you have a strong M$ programmer in the house.

I have not kept up with excel's protections, I don't need to. But the last time I had to deal with it, it took about 10 min to remove a password and open a "protected" file. Its probably better now, but for a long, long time the password feature of excel was a joke. FWIW. This only matters because I don't know what "version" of file the ds tool writes, and if its an older format, the password feature will be worthless.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yeah, you may want to consider putting the spreadsheet in an encrypted zip file... but then I haven't keep up those protections either. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

I wouldn't trust any archive tool's security with anything "important".