Issue with Timezone in flat files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hemaarvind1
Participant

Issue with Timezone in flat files

Post by hemaarvind1 »

Hi All,

Could you please help me in providing your solution for the below scenario:

We are using Oracle table as source and we have the date format coming from the source as below.
01-JAN-00 12.00.01.000000000 AM -5:00

We are trying to load the date format as it is including the timezone into a flat file. We are using a sequential file stage for this.

While doing this, we are having the timestamp format loaded ,however, the timezone part "-5"00" is getting truncated and we are not able to load it.

However,when we try to use a dataset in a target or any other oracle table, we are able to get the timestamp as it is as expected.

Could you please suggest how can we retrieve the time zone information.
FYI, we have used different flat file formats (.dat,.csv..xls etc) and also tried different timestamp formats in the sequential file stage options,but invain.

Besides, FYI, we have the NLS option disabled for the datastage project.

Please suggest.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why not just target a string in the flat file?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can probably retrieve the system's timezone from the TZ environment variable.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hemaarvind1
Participant

Post by hemaarvind1 »

Chulett and Ray,

Thank You for your inputs.

The Job which we are using is generic and we are using RCP. Hence,we don't have specific metadata in the jobs to convert the timestamp to a String at job level.

Besides, to Answer Ray, We tried using the TZ environment variable,however, we didn't get the expected output.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... RCP. That would have been good information to include in your first post.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is TZ being set for your project/environment?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
battaliou
Participant

Post by battaliou »

Generic and RCP? That's novel. I guess you are able to affect your oracle select statement? If so, you could always convert your Timestamp upfront using the to_char function. e.g. select to_char(TIMESTAMP '1999-01-15 8:00:00 -8:00') as TZ from dual‏;
3NF: Every non-key attribute must provide a fact about the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key. So help me Codd.