SQL query character limit

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

irshanuddin
Participant

SQL query character limit

Post by irshanuddin »

Hello gurus,
We have a sql from a view that loads a table that we would like to bring in to our Datastage environment to have more control over it. The SQL itself is over 97,000 characters. It appears the character limits for User Defined SQL, Before SQL, After SQL and parameter string are all 64,000. This leaves us with the option of calling the script from a file, which we are trying to avoid due to some mishaps in the past where files got erased from the server.
Are we left with any other options?
We would like to keep the query intact and not have to break it up since it has loops in it and just rewriting to break it up would be a big job.

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not really... does it really need to be user defined? Curious also what you mean by "loops" in the SQL.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
irshanuddin
Participant

Post by irshanuddin »

So read from file, eh?
What I really meant was that it takes results from one query and outer joins to another and so on and so forth for 10 iterations to create groupings.
Still grappling with it, my first week at a new place. :shock:

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you put a view over all that, source from the view instead?
-craig

irshanuddin
Participant

Post by irshanuddin »

That's exactly what we are trying to replace, a view.

Looks like we will be reading from a file.
Thanks for your input.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Okay... the view would hide all of the looping / iterations / grouping shenanigans from DataStage and just look like a straight select from a single table so seems to me it shouldn't really need to be any kind of 97K characters huge... but okay. :?
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The perfect example of doing too much in SQL. Break your SQL up into chunks. You are probably doing ranking. Do that SQL into lookups. Be creative. Learn the ETL tool. Quit relying on your SQL skills to do ETL.
Mamu Kim
johnboy3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by johnboy3 »

Having less than one year with DataStage, and only part-time at that, I suspect this answer has value that I cannot quite Grok.

john3
john3
----------------------------------------------------
InfoSphere 8.5.0.2; DataStage 8.5.0.0; OS-RHEL 6.6; DB-Oracle Enterprise Edition 11g (11.2.0.4)