Parameter Set Value File Question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parameter Set Value File Question

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
I tried searching for this but was not able to find anything on it.

Is it possible to assign an administrative (Environment) Variable directly to a value file parameter (Values Tab) and not the default for that parameter in the Parameters tab.

The application area is looking to have the ability to point to two different instances of SQL server by simply running with different value files. The intent is not to hard code the values in each of the value files but to have them come in from the Administrative variables already defined for the two connections.

Thanks - - John
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

You could use an execute command activity to update the content of the values file utilizing your favorite scripting language perl/sed/awk before invoking your job from a job activity.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... or a routine activity or even a job activity. (I'd prefer to use a server job here.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Why use a parameter set if you are not going to load the values into it? Use a plain parameter.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kduke wrote:Why use a parameter set if you are not going to load the values into it?
Parameter Sets are cool for setting up different sets of default values for different environments, even if you don't want to update them dynamically.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.