Sequential file behaviour

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

soumya5891
Participant

Sequential file behaviour

Post by soumya5891 »

I have job where it reads from sequential file and stores the data in dataset.There is one column in the sequential file named VERSION(say) and it's defined as VARCHAR(1).

Now in the file if any records are coming say 'AB' for VERSION then it truncates up to 'A' in both 8.5 and 11.3.But in 11.3 am getting one warning like the below where in 8.5 no warnings have been generated.

External string too long. Imported only 1 out of 2 external characters. Ignoring last 1 characters up to delimiter.

I have checked the message handler also,bit nothing is defined in 8.5.

Any idea on this?
Soumya
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Working properly now, wasn't before.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
soumya5891
Participant

Post by soumya5891 »

Yes,from my understanding also the current behavior is supposed to be right.But in current prod(8.5) the data is truncated in that way and that field has no further significance, but in 11.3 it's throwing warning and the job aborts
Soumya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You seem to be relying on something that was not properly checked in version 8.5 but now is being properly checked.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Agreed. I have seen numerous jobs give new warnings in 11.3 as compared to 8.7 (no warnings), and in all cases so far, the job has had something coded incorrectly, like a data type, or a delimiter, or other setting mismatch. Fix the job design in 11.3 and the warning disappears.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius