TrimLeadingTrailing NULLS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

oracledba
Premium Member
Premium Member

TrimLeadingTrailing NULLS

Post by oracledba »

does TrimLeadingTrailing() remove nulls from lookup??

doing lookup upstream onb gender and if lookup fails then being set as continue. This means if lookup fails then the The fields from that link are set to NULL and Continues processing any further lookups before sending the row to the output link.

downstream in a transformer I would like to validate the data.

If gender value is null (means lookup didnt happen properly) then set it to our internal error code else set to 0 (like a soft delete and it is mapped to an output field)

If IsNull(TrimLeadingTrailing(lnk_in_tfm.Gender)) Then 300 Else 0

300 = our internal error code

My question is in the transformer does doing TrimLeadingTrailing from the gender field does it trim null value set by the lookup upstream for lookup failure?
rsomiset
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: TrimLeadingTrailing NULLS

Post by rsomiset »

Did you try something like this ?

If NullToValue(lnk_in_tfm.Gender,'$')='$' Then 300 Else 0
--
Raj
oracledba
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by oracledba »

i am not doing any transformations at this point so no need to convert null to value.

If IsNull(TrimLeadingTrailing(lnk_in_tfm.Gender)) Then 300 Else 0

will my function trim the null is what I need clarification on??

if it does then proper error code wont be outputted.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Perhaps you should clarify what "trim the null" means as I have no idea. Regardless, it seems like something you could test easily enough.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
oracledba
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by oracledba »

if lookup doesn't happen then the fields from that link are set to NULL with the Continue option. That is the null i am talking about

In Transformer I am checking and if it is null then set the internal error code (300) else 0

before i check the null I am trimming the value coming in the gender field, so i just want to make sure it doesn't trim null values that the lookup sets for those values where lookup doesn't happen.
AshishDevassy
Participant

Re: TrimLeadingTrailing NULLS

Post by AshishDevassy »

Convert Low values to spaces first and then trim the column and then compare with NULL.
What we have seen here is ;
There are cases when a char column may be padded by Spaces or by Lowvalues. (a normal sql client wont show any difference until you look at the hex values for the column)
that's wierd ?
oracledba
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by oracledba »

any other suggestions??
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So you are wondering if you trim a NULL (an unknown value, btw) that it might turn it into something else and no longer be recognized as a NULL? It won't... and as noted that would be something you could easily test yourself in the time you've spent waiting for a replies. :wink:

I'm not familiar with that particular function but I'd wager that all it trims, leading and trailing, are spaces.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you referring to NULL (unknown value) here, or trailing NUL bytes (0x00)? If the latter, you can use the Convert() function to convert any occurrence of Char(0) to "". Or you can use the three-argument version of the Trim() function to trim just the trailing occurrence(s).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I would not expect this function to remove any type of nulls.

TrimLeadingTrailing - Removes all leading and trailing spaces and tabs from a string.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius