ODBC - Transaction Handling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reachmexyz
Premium Member
Premium Member

ODBC - Transaction Handling

Post by reachmexyz »

Hi,

I am running DataStage 8.7 on Linux environment.
I have a requirement to extract data from Oracle and load into a table named "table1" in SQLServer. But before loading "table1" i am required to delete all the existing records and then insert the new ones.
Tricky thing, is "Delete and insert" should be part of a transaction. i.e.
If "If insert fails, then delete should be rolledback".
How can a make both Delete and Insert as part of single transaction?
Appreciate your responses
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What stage are you using? Typically you would get everything in a 'transaction' simply by using a single target stage with multiple input links.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
yugee
Participant

Post by yugee »

If you need to delete all the records only when all the records are inserted then:
First insert all the records into table2 (create this temp table as before sql statement)
have the after sql statement to truncate table1 and rename table2 to table1
reachmexyz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reachmexyz »

Delete is part of Before SQL and inserts are part of SQL statement. Both are two different transactions. I am using ODBC stage.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not going to work that way, the deletes will be committed and then your inserts will start. They both need to be 'inside' the stage to be in the same transaction and that requires two links. The delete link needs to be ordered to run first and only needs to send 1 row to trigger the deletes.

Which ODBC stage is this? Seem to recall there being more than one, ODBC Enterprise and ODBC Connector come to mind.

If you have the grants to drop/rename tables and that kind of thing won't freak out your DBA, you can consider what yugee suggested. No need to truncate, however, drop and rename should do it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers