Bulk orchestrate import of table definitions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lewap02
Participant

Bulk orchestrate import of table definitions

Post by lewap02 »

Hello. The question is about DataStage Designer client.

Is there any way to import many table definitions through orchestrate import (Import -> Table definitions -> Orchestrate schema import) "at once"? By "at once" or "bulk" I mean without importing every table separately.

Orchestrate import is my preferred method but it gets time consuming when I want to refresh tens of table definitions after making changes to the database.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

At current version the answer is "no".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lewap02
Participant

Post by lewap02 »

Thank You for Your answer.

One time I heard about some Java API for DataStage and I hoped that this could be the way - to write some Java app that would loop through database tables and call orchestrate import.
Do You know if it is possible? Or maybe this Java API is not meant for such purpose?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That API allows integration of Java into a DataStage job. What you are looking to do doesn't require any sort of "job" to accomplish so while the API may not be relevant that doesn't mean you couldn't do this in Java itself. As noted, you just need something to retrieve a list of tables and then call the import in an iterative fashion. You could do that with Java, Perl, Korn or whatever else you were comfortable with.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lewap02
Participant

Post by lewap02 »

Could You give me a bit more detail? Of course I can get the list of tables with Java, that's not a problem, but do You know how to call orchestrate import from outside DataStage Designer (with appropriate set of parameters)?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From the command line... the utility is named "orchdbutil" from what I recall. Pretty sure that's a practical approach, I'm sure someone else will come along and comment on it for us. :wink:
-craig

lewap02
Participant

Post by lewap02 »

I found information which, I think, would be enough for me to create tool for mass orchestrate import but one thing stands in my way:

it seems like orchdbutil is only on the server side. Do You know if one can run it from the client side? I would like very much to avoid any remote calls because it would create many limitations.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It will only run on the server, not on the client.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The simplest way to avoid any remote calls is a script that runs on the server... is that not an option for you?
-craig

lewap02
Participant

Post by lewap02 »

I see that I ain't got much choice. Ok, I can run script on the server directly. I started putting pieces together but now ran into something like (while trying to call orchdbutil):

"(...) Could not find orchoracle on the library search path (...)".

I do have path ...PXEngine/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH so it's not the case but I noticed something worse: there is no *orchoracle* in that path. More: there is no such file on the server...

Could this mean that my DataStage installation is somehow corrupted? I must add that I am able to do orchestrate import from oracle database in the DataStage Designer.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

lewap02 wrote:Could this mean that my DataStage installation is somehow corrupted?
I doubt it. Have you tried / been able to do an import from the command line manually, as in outside of your script?
-craig

lewap02
Participant

Post by lewap02 »

By "as in outside of your script" You mean to type "orchdbutil ..." directly to the Linux command line? If yes then this is exactly what I do.
Before I put it into any script I want have it going for a single table and I'm running it from the command line.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK, that's good. You might be surprised at how many people don't do that first to ensure they have the syntax working before it gets scripted. And with that working for you, it rules out your installation being any kind of corrupted.

Then it would seem you just have an 'environment' issue and those are typically solved by sourcing your dsenv file as one of the first steps in the script. Can you try that or let is know if you are doing that and it is still not working?
-craig

lewap02
Participant

Post by lewap02 »

I've managed to get it running after putting dsenv at the beginning of the script. Thanks for that advice.

One thing I need to figure out (I guess these are basics but I'm not strong with Linux) is why it does work only when I copy-paste the whole content of dsenv into my script. It doesn't work when I put only one line with call of dsenv. It looks like in the latter situation the variables are not set...

The next step is to make an actual import of the single table (becuase as for now I've done it in "check" mode) and finally put it into loop.
lewap02
Participant

Post by lewap02 »

I've dug into topic a bit deeper and understood one thing: orchdbutil will not make the import :oops: It will only show me the schema definition.

Now, one of the approaches I came across is to parse the output of orchdbutil and save it in .dsx format. Then it can be imported using dscmdimport.

It is not very hard but I hoped for more elegant solution :D And less time consuming. Can You think of any?