Need to check the datetime format

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Need to check the datetime format

Post by srini.dw »

Hi Guys,

Need to check the format of the incoming values is
YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.XXX

I need to find the last 3 digits i.,e XXX if it exists I need to take the left 19 digits.

My source is SQL server and column is Nvarchar and the output column is also nvarchar.
2011-07-01 00:00:00.000
2010-10-05 00:00:00.000

Iam trying to use the below syntax, is this correct.

Code: Select all

If IsValid('Timestamp',(StringToTimestamp(Input_Column,'%yyyy-%mm-%dd %hh:%nn:%ss.3))) then "1" else "0"
Any idea would be of great help.

Thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not correct. You need to check validity BEFORE attempting to convert.

Is this an interview question? You're the third to have asked it in the last couple of weeks.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srini.dw »

No, its not interview question.

Thanks,
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

This works correctly for me :

If IsValid('Timestamp',StringToTimestamp(INPUTCOL,'%yyyy-%mm-%dd %hh:%nn:%ss.3')) then left(INPUTCOL,19) else "0"
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, you should be checking for validity BEFORE doing any conversion, the goal being to ensure that the conversion will work properly. The IsValid() function expects a string as its input so that isn't really working like you think it is.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

We would have to convert to timestamp before checking for validity of timestamp. We cannot check for timestamp validity without the string being a timestamp. I tested with an invalid string and the conversion fails and consequently the validity fails and 0 is returned as is the intended purpose.
Last edited by ssnegi on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ssnegi wrote:We would have to convert to timestamp before checking for validity of timestamp.
Sorry but this is not correct.
-craig

ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

Well it doesnt make any difference if we do the conversion before or after the validity. I tested with the conversion before validity and it works correctly.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you "test" it with a string that contained an invalid timestamp? :roll:

For example 2013-13-13 13:13:13

or even 2013-02-27T03:13:14 when your default timestamp format string does not include the "T"?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

I tested string given by you...2013-02-27T03:13:14...The job output 0. It only gave a warning for validity.
APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Data string '2013-02-27T03:13:14' does not match format '%yyyy-%mm-%dd %hh:%nn:%ss.3': missing the fractional part of the field expected by tag %ss.3.

I also tested 2013-02-41 03:13:14.000 with DD=41 and it output 0 without warning.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:idea: If you test a string for validity FIRST and then convert only valid values, you would not receive warnings like that... which is the whole point of testing validity first.

srini.dw: did you get this working for you? Remove the StringToTimestamp from your code and for the "then" do whatever substring / conversion you need to populate the target field. For the "else" set it to whatever it should be if the validity check fails - zero, null, the original field value, whatever.
-craig

srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srini.dw »

Thanks guys,

Our source was SQL server, we did a CAST statement in the source query, did not do any datetime format conversation.

Thanks,