How to read Mainframe tapes from IIS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

synsog
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to read Mainframe tapes from IIS

Post by synsog »

Hi All - Is there a way we can read the Mainframe Tapes from IIS without landing the data into the UNIX server ?

Thanks
Synsog
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I am not sure.

Look at it from a different angle - is there any way to make a mainframe tape look like a mounted object on the UNIX filesystem? If the answer to that question is 'yes', then DataStage could read it as if it were a sequential file object, or a UNIX script can read it using TAR or some analogy and put that output into a named pipe, which DataStage could then read without landing the data.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Tapes can be a little more problematic due to their blocking factor but, if the conditions Arnd referred to are met, then it should be doable, though you might have to create a routine for the preliminary de-blocking.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aartlett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aartlett »

Couldn't you use an FTP stage to bring the data from the mainframe tape and read it in? No landing and blocking is handled on the mainframe side automatically.

It's been a while since I've used Mainframe FTP, but I remember there are some additional commands to handle it from Unix, but it can even handle the EBCDIC to ASCII conversion if that is required, but be careful if it is COBOL file because of packed decimal numbers not converting correctly. Of course if it is COBOL (complex) files, it will handle the EBCDIC-> ASCII and Packed decimal conversion for you.
Andrew

Think outside the Datastage you work in.

There is no True Way, but there are true ways.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

To support and clarify what Andrew posted: I have dozens of jobs that start with FTP Enterprise and no file is landed until the final outputs. One needs a stable host ftp server and a basic understanding of mainframe datasets based on the operating system and file management system in use.

Best however is something like z/OS stage using Classic Federation file service and the Complex Flat File stage. We are exploring that now because my dozens of ftp sessions are creating a bottleneck and resource contention issue.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

You could probably call an Unix Program in an External Source stage, if you can mount it and read it in Unix line as ArndW says. EBCDIC to ASCII may create problem , but there sure will be some workarounds.

See an article on the dd command and verify if its applicable on your flavor of Unix .

Converting Between ASCII and EBCDIC