Text files in DB

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kennyapril
Participant

Text files in DB

Post by kennyapril »

Hello,

The source for a DS job is a SQL server which has text files on the database.

Which stage would be the best one to access the files on the database?

Thanks
Regards,
Kenny
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You will need to clarify what exactly it is you mean by "text files on the database". Specific examples would be nice, as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

We were told by the user that there are around 1000 text files which has header, detail and trailer in all the files.

These files are placed in SQL server DB, access will be provided to their box where these files are present.

They all are of same layout, I wanted to know how do I connect from DS to the SQL server DB when there are files as usually we connect through ODBC and SQL server stages.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kenny
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You would connect the same way, since these files will be stored, somehow, in tables in the database.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still curious if these are the actual files stored as CLOBs in the database or are they pointers to the phyical file? From what I've seen most databases support both concepts, hence the question.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

Thanks very much!

Only information given was the files are in the DB, not sure how they are stored.

Will get back once I get the access today or tomorrow as that will give a clear idea.
Regards,
Kenny