ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

samdsx
Premium Member
Premium Member

ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired error

Post by samdsx »

Hi,

I am using datastage version 7.5.2. There are several jobs in the project that connect to SQL Server database using ODBC stage. Randomly the jobs are failing with the below error. Some of the times the jobs are running absolutely fine but other times they fail with time out error.

"APT_CombinedOperatorController(1),0: Fatal Error: Could not connect to datasource[DataDirect][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired"

Our DBAs are not being of much help. Any suggestions on how to avoid this error would be helpful. Appreciate any information.

Thanks!
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired error

Post by SURA »

It is one of the error we used to get and can't find the route cause of this issue. At the time of failure, check the SQL Server logs, Unix logs etc to find some clue.

Rerun is the workaround we have.

DS User
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sounds like you need one or more of the following:
(a) less load on the machine
(b) less load on the connection(s) to SQL Server
(c) a more powerful server (or two)
(d) faster network
(e) more or dedicated network channels
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
samdsx
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samdsx »

Thanks for the suggestions Ray. The volume of data is less in our case which is less than 100000 records. Are there any options to set the odbc DSN for this connection on datastage server to never timeout? Please let me know.
samdsx
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired error

Post by samdsx »

So far we also resorted to restarting the jobs.