Establish DB2 Connection in runtime

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

patelamit009
Participant

Establish DB2 Connection in runtime

Post by patelamit009 »

Hi All,

My job design is as follows.

DB2 Connector (fetch from DB2 table) ----> Aggregator ----> DB2 Connector ( to load Mainframe table).

The problem i am facing here is the below error
SQLExecute reported: SQLSTATE = 08506: Native Error Code = -30,108: Msg = [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2] SQL30108N A connection failed but has been re-established.

The reason being, the idle timeout. For eg, here im fetching 2 million records which takes around 2 minutes. And the idle timeout in the traget DB2 connection is 1 minute. Hence when the data propagetes to target the connection is getting lost.

So, i would like to know if we could establish db2 connection in the target after the whole data is fetched from the source ?

Thanks.

PS : Admins, please correct me if my post is not as per the standards set.
Regards,
Patel
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A 1 minute idle timeout? Sheesh. No, there's no ability to defer the target connection until the source data is ready in any sense.

Look for some kind of a 'keep alive' parameter in the connector, pretty sure I've seen people here mention the fact that at least some of them have this capability.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could do it with two jobs - extract into staging area (e.g. Data Set) then load from that in a separate job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Establish DB2 Connection in runtime

Post by qt_ky »

patelamit009 wrote:So, i would like to know if we could establish db2 connection in the target after the whole data is fetched from the source ?
The easy solution is:

Job 1:

DB2 Connector (fetch from DB2 table) ----> Aggregator ----> Data Set stage.

Job 2:

Data Set stage ----> DB2 Connector ( to load Mainframe table).
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I just saw Ray's reply... Same idea, fewer words!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The DB2 Connector stage does have a keep alive setting for the conductor node (default=Yes), but I don't think it works in the way you probably think of a keep-alive normally working like on a telnet or VPN session. The setting is there in 8.5 and 8.7. I think on 8.1 it requires a patch to get that setting.
patelamit009
Participant

Post by patelamit009 »

Thanks All.

I shall try your valuable inputs as
1. Getting patch for 8.1
2. Using staging datasets.

Any further updates are welcome.
Regards,
Patel