DS 8.5 sequel server stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijayrc
Participant

DS 8.5 sequel server stage

Post by vijayrc »

Hii know there is oracle stage and I assume that.there is no dedicated Sequel server db stage.. Is the only option to use ODBC connector..if so does it provide parallelism?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You would have a "dedicated SQL Server stage" if your DataStage server was installed on Windows. For UNIX you would need to use ODBC.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

thx Craig.
Do you see any concerns using ODBC vs using dedicated SQL server stage ..performance, parallelism wise? Thanks in advance
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I actually found a SQL Server Enterprise stage on our UNIX server... It wasn't supposed to be there :) but had been migrated from Windows. The ODBC Connector stage can run in parallel. The new DataDirect ODBC drivers also include some new stuff just for SQL Server that can help performance too. There is a SQL Server Native Wire Protocol driver. I think it can do bulk loads.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure about concerns, seeing as how you don't really have a choice. I'll have to let someone with experience in that arena answer, I've done very little SQL Server work over the years. I believe about the only thing you wouldn't have not being on Windows would be a direct bulk load capability. No clue on your parallelism question.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

check again...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I should mention, by new, I mean DataDirect 6.1 ODBC drivers that are bundled with Information Server 8.7. If they are still like they used to be then you should still be able to download the 6.1 drivers and configure them on an older DataStage version as well.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

Is there any upper limit for the ODBC Connector stage to run in parallel. ie. At any point in time, how many parallel connection [Bulk Load] to SQL Server can happen? 8.5x/Linux is the environment.
Thanks in advance
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I'm not sure on upper limit. You may be the first to test the bulk load feature...