Hardcoded value in Modify stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hardcoded value in Modify stage

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

Guys,

Just a quick question. Can be pass hardcoded values in a modify stage? i do not want to use transformer for this as it kills in the performance.

Thanks.
ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Hardcoded value in Modify stage

Post by ShaneMuir »

Are you sure that "it kills the performance". My understanding is that transformers have come a long way in terms of their performance.

It would all depend on what you are trying to accomplish overall.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

"It kills the performance" hasn't been true for quite some time.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

ummm well i have before that transformer i have around 40k rows/ sec being processed - I am just using the transformer to add a new column to the input metadata and assigning a default value to it ( no constraints or anything). and the out put drops to 3k rows / sec..... could'nt think of anything else so any clues?

p.s just for knowledge does it allow hardcoded values to be passed to a new added column in the output.. :D
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Column Generator would be an appropriate stage to use for your task if you're trying to avoid a transformer. The Modify is largely meant for working with existing columns (KEEP, DROP, or create a new column from an existing column).

When you tried a transformer, what type did you use? Parallel transformer or BASIC Transformer? What was the derivation for your hardcoded value?

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can't use a Modify stage to add hard-coded values. You can use a Column Generator stage (a cycle with one value) or a Transformer stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

Thanks guys.
The transformer was parallel one.. i am brining 4 columns from the source and adding one new column for the output.. no derivation just a hardcoded single alphabet value to it.. I am not sure how come the performance on the output link has degraded so much by just doing this.