Parameterized values getting hard coded

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pg_smh
Participant

Parameterized values getting hard coded

Post by pg_smh »

Hi,

I'm facing a strange issue with the parametrization of values in DB2/Teradata Connector stages.

All the DB related parameters - DBname, DBSchema, DBpassword are passed to the Db2/Teradata Connector stage using a parameter set. Still, when I compile and migrate the job from one environment to other (Development to QC), somehow, these database parameters become hard coded.

Am I missing any patches or something??

Please advise.

Thanks
anbu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anbu »

Did you set value of Environment variables to $PROJDEF?
You are the creator of your destiny - Swami Vivekananda
pg_smh
Participant

Post by pg_smh »

Yes, the value in the parameter set it is given as $PROJDEF.

So, if the parameter set is: ParamSet
parameter name is: Param1

In the ETL job, I'm using : #ParamSet.$Param1#
anbu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anbu »

Check the environment variables are assigned with proper values in DSParams file in QA
You are the creator of your destiny - Swami Vivekananda
pg_smh
Participant

Post by pg_smh »

Had the values been incorrect in DSParams file in QA, this problem would have happened for all the ETL jobs, but this problem is occurring sometimes, and I don't see any pattern in the occurrence of the problem. It is weird.... :roll:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you migrate the associated Parameter Set?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pg_smh
Participant

Post by pg_smh »

Yes Ray, parameter set migration was done. Let me repeat, the problem is occurring sometimes, it is not occurring for all the jobs. Had the parameter set not been migrated, all the jobs would have given this problem.
And I see this problem only for Connector stages - both DB2 & Teradata. The enterprise stages never gave this kind of problem.
DWS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DWS »

Iknow this thread is from quite some time ago, but we are experiencing the same issues with DB2 Connector stage in DS 8.5. It is intermittent but may be related to viewing the data. It isn't always reproducible and the only way to catch it prior to migrating from one environment to the next seems to be searching the DSX file for hard coded values.

Does anyone else experience this and/or know of a patch from IBM?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Lose the dollar sign. Use #ParamSet.Param1# rather than #ParamSet.$Param1# unless $Param1 exists as an environment variable parameter within the parameter set ParamSet.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I'm seeing intermittent problems like this in 8.7 as well. Jobs are being migrated with object code to production, and in some cases are still trying to run with DEV settings, even though environment variables are set correctly.

Recompilation resolves the issue and we can't see a pattern in the failures.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
soumya5891
Participant

Post by soumya5891 »

I have faced the problem sometimes. All the parameter including connection parameters and parameters used in the sql statement have been hard coded with the values which was used to view data in the DB2 connector stage in 8.5 version.
Soumya