Lookup Stage Erroe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cabchris
Participant

Lookup Stage Erroe

Post by cabchris »

Hi,

I am struggling with an error message on a lookup stage I never seen before

My job is simply doing a range ookup on a dataset and I get the following error message:

lkp_STIPTHEID: Error when checking operator: Caught unknown exception during wrapDescribeOperator().

lkp_STIPTHEID: Error when checking operator: setInputInterfaceSchema() was not called by describeOperator() for input: 1.
Error when checking operator: setInputInterfaceSchema() was not called by describeOperator() for input: 2.

The range lookup is done and is using integer fields ...

Any idea or help is more than welcome.

Thanks

Christophe
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

For testing can you please add environment variable $APT_DUMP_SCORE to the job parameters and set its value to True when you re-run the job? This will place the "score" into the job log - an entry captioned "this step has N data sets". Please post the score so we can see what is really happening.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cabchris
Participant

Post by cabchris »

Hi ray,

I tried what you suggest but there is no difference in the log I get.

Maybe some more info:
- We are using version 8.1 with the first critical pack installed
- I have tried to recreate other simple lookup jobs and I get the same problem
- We have two independent environment (2 servers) newly installed and I get the same error so maybe it is an installation issue but I don't see what (I did the installation myself).

Thanks again for your help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Rubbish. At the very least the score will be in the log. This is one of your primary diagnostic tools - it's what is actually executed.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cabchris
Participant

Post by cabchris »

I can insure you that I did exactly what you described in your first post.

Is the score supposed to appear as a new entry or as part of an existing one ?

I will post the entire log tomorrow so you can see it but I have the feeling that error is occurring during the initialization phase of the job. That could explain why the score is not in the log ?

Thanks again for your help.

christophe
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If your job is cratering early in the process then perhaps it hasn't gotten that far yet. From what I recall, the score is dumped just after the config file contents are logged and say "main_program: This step has".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bollinenik
Participant

Post by bollinenik »

why don't you try first normal lookup if it works fine then you can range lookup.
I guess normal lookup will tell you exact error where it's going wrong, if it's related to Input schema or some thing else.
basically it might be due to column names are not defined properly, Try with some sample column names and create a new job.
If you can debug in this way and post your error if any.
cabchris
Participant

Post by cabchris »

I have done all that already. I have recreated a very simple job and the range lookup is not working better. If I switch to a normal lookup then it works without any problem in the 2 jobs.

Here are the log messages I get ...

- main_program: orchgeneral: loaded
orchsort: loaded
orchstats: loaded
- main_program: Requesting delayed metadata.
Requesting delayed metadata.
- lkp_STIPTHEID: Error when checking operator: Caught unknown exception during wrapDescribeOperator().
- lkp_STIPTHEID: Error when checking operator: setInputInterfaceSchema() was not called by describeOperator() for input: 1.
Error when checking operator: setInputInterfaceSchema() was not called by describeOperator() for input: 2.
- main_program: Could not check all operators because of previous error(s)
- main_program: Creation of a step finished with status = FAILED.
segmentation fault
- Contents of phantom output file
[1] + Done(139) C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin/NT_OshWrapper.exe //./pipe/DWH-RT_SC582-TestLookup RT_SC582/OshExecuter.sh R DUMMY -f RT_SC582/OshScript.osh -monitorport 13400 -pf RT_SC582/jpfile -impexp_charset ASCL_MS1252 -string_charset ASCL_MS1252 -input_charset UTF-8 -output_charset UTF-8 -collation_sequence OFF
6572 Segmentation violation C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin/NT_OshWrapper.exe
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could also be looking at a 'range lookup' bug of which there were several, from what I recall. Time to involve your official support vendor, it seems.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cabchris
Participant

Post by cabchris »

I have closes that one earlier. The problem was linked to the C++ compiler installed which was too recent. Apparently we have to stick to Visual C++ Express 2005 even if that one is not available anymore on the microsoft website. So if you have a copy of it keep it safely :-)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The older compilers can still be downloaded.

Remember, too, that range lookups are compiled as transform operators (that's why the compiler became involved).