Difference Between DB2 Enterprise Load / DB2 UDB Load Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saikir
Participant

Difference Between DB2 Enterprise Load / DB2 UDB Load Stage

Post by saikir »

Hi All,

I would like to know the difference between the Write (load with Append) option in Db2 UDB Enterprise Stage and the DB2 UDB load Stage?

If i am not wrong both invoke the Db2 load utility and work the same way except for a few options in the stages. In specific i would like to know whether,

- Are there any performance implications in either of the stages
- Log entries etc
- The way they invoke the load utility

Is the difference only in terms of one being sequential and the other parallel?

Regards,
Sai
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What has your testing revealed?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saikir
Participant

Post by saikir »

Hi Ray,

Following are my test results

Db2 Udb Load Stage: By default this runs in sequential mode and as the number of records increased it was proving to be slow. And i would not recomment this stage unless you are totaly comfortbale with the stage properties. There are quite a few stage properties that need to be set

Db2 UDB Enterprise: By default this works in parallel and was performing well with high volumes. It took less then a minute for me to load 1000000 rows into a table and lot more easy to use.

However, i would appreciate any input from others on the forum on the same in terms of log entries etc

Regards,
Sai