DataStage as an ETL to loadinto Oracle's E-Billing product

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijayrc
Participant

DataStage as an ETL to loadinto Oracle's E-Billing product

Post by vijayrc »

Hi,
There's this new development in our project going on w/ the purchase of Oracle Product eBilling ver 6.0 which has Oracle Warehouse Builder [OWB] inbuilt which is an ETL to load data into the product.

But we are exploring options if Datastage could be used instead of OWB.
[Licensing costs more for OWB and it's new to the team too, while DS has been dealt with before]

Has anyone ever dealt with Oracle ebilling before and if so, will DS fit the bill? Any light on this is greatly appreciated

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't see why not, as all you're going to find under the covers are POOTs - Plain Old Oracle Tables. Should just be a matter of retrieving the metadata and knowing how the tables map / relate to each other. Etc. Just like any other Oracle-based application.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

chulett wrote:I don't see why not, as all you're going to find under the covers are POOTs - Plain Old Oracle Tables. Should just be a matter of retrieving the metadata and knowing how the tables map / relate to eac ...
Thanks Chulett. I understand your point and that's what my thinking is to.
But I'm just trying to see if someone else has used DS instead of OWB while dealing with this specific product [Oracle eBilling - Bill Presentment/Payment product]

Thanks again./
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

Hi
Though I have not worked on Oracle E-billing but I had done work around Oracle Retek (retail merchandise system). One comment - make sure you understand what all the validation rules are. Most of the load programs have their own validation rules and most of these are built in PL/SQL which is procedural. Just make sure you handle that in your DS jobs.

JS