Problems importing PxDB2 stage type

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

andrewn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Problems importing PxDB2 stage type

Post by andrewn »

Got a problem importing a stage type, the PxDB2.

I discovered that the PxDB2 stage in a production project on a production server has extra options when compared to my dev project on the dev server.

It looks like a patch was applied to production, but not dev. I've located the patch that delivered the enhanced PxDB2 stage.

However, if I try to add the patch to the dev project, I'm having trouble :?

Following the instructions, I import a new PxDB2 stage type from the supplied dsx file.

After importing the new PxDB2 stage type to my dev project I checked the properties of the Stage type and i can see the additional options, as expected.

However if I add the stage to to a parallel job the properties of the stage are all wrong. The stage doesn't appear with the right properties defaulted, what should be mutually exclusive options appear together, most of the expected properties are missing and so it's a bit of a mess!

If I then re-import the backup of the PxDB2 file, to the dev project, everything is ok again (except I'm back to a version of PxDB2 that's different from the production one).

To add to the mix the project I'm importing into is a USS project, so the PxDB2 stage is supposed to have some "special" properties, only applicable to USS.

There is obviously something I'm missing! I'm assuming I can import a stage type to an individual project without importing to all projects on the same server?

I haven't stop/started DataStage since the patch instructions don't mention that. Is that a red herring anyway?

Anyone got any pointers? :roll: Thanks!
andrewn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Problems importing PxDB2 stage type

Post by andrewn »

Got to the bottom of it, eventually.

When I have exported the PxDB2 stage type from my production project, to try to apply it to development, the .dsx file has some missing fields.

Code: Select all

BEGIN DSSUBRECORD
         Name "operator"
         Description "Write to INSERT; Load uses fast DB2 loader technology; Upsert uses an INSERT or an UPDATE SQL statement. Delete Rows uses a DELETE SQL statement"
         DisplayStyle "0"
         DisplayCaption "Write Method"
         Default "Load"
         ForInput "1"
         ForStage "0"
         ForOutput "0"
         HelpText ""
         Type "5"
         ValidList "Delete Rows\SWrite\SLoad\SUpsert"
         Width "0"
         Required "1"
         Locked "0"
         Hidden "0"
         TransactionGroupable "0"
         ConvType "0"
         Repeating "0"
         QuoteString "0"
         ViewData "0"
      END DSSUBRECORD
An export from a different project uses "\T" markers in the Default and Validlist parmeters and the values that follow the \T markers are referred to in other parts of the .dsx file. Without them the Stage Type doesn't work in Designer.

Code: Select all

Default "Load\Tdb2load"
ValidList "Delete Rows\Tdb2upsert\SWrite\Tdb2write\SLoad\Tdb2load\SUpsert\Tdb2upsert"

For some reason my export of a stage type doesn't inlcude the \T details.

I've hacked my way round my issue though.