Making individual Export of jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RohanSharma
Participant

Making individual Export of jobs

Post by RohanSharma »

Hello,
I want to know about some functionality of DS. Manager tat will help me
Exporting multiple jobs from a project and making individual .dsx files.
Can this be done in one go?
Or I need to export the jobs one by one?

The reason for export of individual jobs is that I want to commit the
jobs into some common repository and thus we will be able to do a version control of jobs .

Thanks for the response in advance.

--Rohan
RohanSharma
Participant

Addittonal Informaton

Post by RohanSharma »

Also I would like to fetch out some information which can help us to do the version control of Datastage jobs.
Ascential Claims that the Version control offered by them is not very efficient.
Also I have heard that it is not recommended for the use.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Current Version Control Approach That I have figured out

Step 1:
Make change to the Datastage Job; test your change to run fine.

Step 2:
Export of the required Datastage Job, the .dsx file to some location

Step 3:
Commit the change in the form of .DSX file in CVS [Common Versioning System] repository.
You should document the change description in the modification block at the time of committing into CVS.

Step4:
Update the XLS with the change Description and the environment in which the change is there.

Please Note:

Always the main trunk should contain the Production jobs and nothing else. [This will be the most trusted version]
So, changes being developed [DVLPTESTUAT] should never be committed in the main trunk until intended to run on production
Such non production changes can be carried out in branch versions and be reconciled later
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can export one job, or one category of jobs, from the Export tool.

However, if you require a separate DSX for each job, these must be done separately.

The Version Control product is not recommended because it is discontinued in version 8 of DataStage.

Therefore what you propose - to pretend that the export files are "source code" for the purposes of a source code control system - is a valid approach. Lots of sites already manage their DataStage components in this fashion.

In a later release - possibly 8.2 - IBM will be offering something more akin to an interface to a source code management tool.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.