main_program: "same" operator may not have a parti

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Titto
Participant

main_program: "same" operator may not have a parti

Post by Titto »

Hi,

couple of my jobs are aborting with following error

Code: Select all

"same" operator may not have a partitioner or collector on its input
The same job worked fine other environment - no changes in the jobs from Dev environment to Prod environment.

Any ideas, what could be the cause...

Thanks,
T
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Clearly there is at least one difference between environments.

Dump the score in each and look for those differences. Does the error message indicate which stage/operator is generating the error?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Titto
Participant

Post by Titto »

ray.wurlod wrote:Clearly there is at least one difference between environments.

Dump the score in each and look for those differences. Does the error message indicate which stage/operator is generating the error? ...
Hi Ray,

job is aborting with in 2 seconds - it is not mentioning any stage names.
it is just saying

main_program: This step has no datasets.
It has 1 operator:
op0[1p] {(sequential APT_CombinedOperatorController:
      (APT_LicenseCountOp in APT_LicenseOperator)
      (APT_LicenseCheckOp in APT_LicenseOperator)
    ) on nodes (
      node1[op0,p0]
    )}
It runs 1 process on 1 node.
and it abort with

main_program: "same" operator may not have a partitioner or collector on its input
Thanks,
T
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's the score for licensing, and doesn't help. Is there a second score event logged?
If so, can you please post that score here?
If not, you may have an issue with licensing, or access to DataStage software on other processing nodes.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
boppanakrishna
Participant

Post by boppanakrishna »

hi,

Are there any message handlers enabled for the Job?
If so please disable them and then run again, U many get get some additional information

Regards,
Boppana
Titto
Participant

Post by Titto »

Yes there was a message handler, i disable that and ran the same job with $APT_DUMP_SCORE=True , still the same it is not producing any extra dump.

I found one more interesting -
On developement box the same job is working fine, then i made a copy of the job with my initial, and i changed the output file, so that my job won't overwrite the development files, then i submit the job and it is producing the same error and aborting.

So, the dev version is working fine, my version is aborting and Production copy is aborting...

Any ideas??

Thanks,
T
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Does anyone know if this topic was resolved? It is not marked as such, but I am hoping that since it was from July that maybe the OP got it working.

We are getting the same error with "hash" instead of "same". It is on a new process, so we don't have it working in one environment and not another - so I don't know if it is environmental or not.

Has anyone else run into this?

Brad.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Just a follow up on my own posting here...

The job I was working on had a bunch of extra hash partitioners on it. I removed everything that was not part of a join prep and the problem went away.

I am not sure if getting rid of hashes was the required fix or if I simply eliminated a problem hash by coincidence. So I guess my question remains - what does this error mean and why am I getting it?

Brad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The message seems to imply that somewhere in the job there is an input link on which there is no partitioner/collector defined, or that Same has been selected as the partitioning/collecting algorithm but there is non-partitioned data arriving. For example, SeqFile (sequential) ----> AnyStage (parallel) and forcing Same as the partitioning algorithm on the downstream stage might be able to cause this symptom.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Well, I took a copy of the original job (that was failing) and started removing hashing one-by-one. I identified 2 stages that caused the problem, but still don't understand what went wrong. There were 2 modifies that had hash partitioning on their inputs. The field they reference for partitioning is valid - it exists in the input schema (same name, datatype, nullity, etc.). If the hash is added,t he job fails. If I remove it the job works fine.

Still puzzled...

Brad.