Autosys Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kashif007
Premium Member
Premium Member

Autosys Job

Post by kashif007 »

Can anyone direct me to good website that gives information about how to develope an autosys job and how scripts are used in autosys job. I can't find proper information on the internet. I need to develop an autosys job that gives an e-mail notification when an incremental load is complete in production.

Thanks
Regards
Kashif Khan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We use Control-M here internally, when I need help with something related to that I go to the people charged with supporting it. Do you not have access to your 'AutoSys people'?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kashif007
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kashif007 »

Not yet. But I want to prepare myself before I get into it.
Regards
Kashif Khan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seems to me you have at least two choices. What people typically 'schedule' is a script that wrappers the dsjob command. If you want to build that functionality into the script itself, that would be one answer that is not AutoSys specific.

Otherwise, I would think it would be trivial to just tell them they need to perform the notification themselves on job completion. It should all be built into the tool.
-craig

kashif007
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kashif007 »

I understand I need to have a script to do a Email notification. I do have the script almost ready. But I believe there is a GUI kind of autosys tool that is exactly same like datastage and it has various icons to perform various functions like we have stages in Datastage. I want to read about that GUI interface autosys tool. I don't have any knowledge about it.
Regards
Kashif Khan
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You should be able to get the manuals from the AutoSys team.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kashif007
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kashif007 »

Ok Thanks
Regards
Kashif Khan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Google will help, and there are probably Autosys analogues of DSXchange (that is, user fora) out there also.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

It appears you can do the e-mail notification in at least three places;
1. Wrap your DataStage in a Sequence and do the e-mail from the Sequence.
2. Wrap the DataStage job in a UNIX script and do the e-mail notification from the UNIX script.
3. Call the DataStage job from Autosys and have Autosys manage the e-mail notification.

To me, a UNIX script is the method of last resort since the functionality is buried in code and other established methods are probably available.
The other two choices depend on the philosophy of your company using DataStage/Autosys. What is the purpose of Autosys at your site? Is it to schedule, run and notify? Or just schedule and run? If so, then I would code the notify in a Sequence.

My first choice is to always have a given tool at a given site do the job it was purchased to do. In other words, I try to use Sequences for integral units of work and not as a scheduling tool if a scheduling tool is available. I use a Sequence to schedule and accomplish multiple tasks when no scheduling tool is available (in concert with cron).

I would echo Chulett in that you need to find out if the Autosys boys will do the notify for you. If you have Autosys then supposedly you would also have an established Autosys infrastructure for some level of Job success/failure notification. Find out if this includes e-mail notifications.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We do 2 with emails from Autosys. It works very well. We use something like Autosys but not exactly the same.
Mamu Kim
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Autosys creates whats called a JIL Script and the JIL Script calls a Unix Shell Script which has the dsjob command that calls the DS Sequencer or DS Job.....So go to the Autosys people and tell them they need to create a JILL Script as I just said....
pranabdas
Participant

Re: Autosys Job

Post by pranabdas »

Hi,

You have write a unix shell script. Within this you write command

mail -s <Subject> -b <abc.dat> -t xyz@pqr.com

Suppoose this script name is www.sh

Now call this www.sh from your autosys schedule like this -

insert_job: job_type: c
command: www.sh
machine:
#owner:
permission: gx,mx,ge,me
condition:
description:
std_out_file: /asyslogs/$AUTO_JOB_NAME.$AUTORUN.$$.out
std_err_file: /asyslogs/$AUTO_JOB_NAME.$AUTORUN.$$.err
alarm_if_fail: 1
profile:
job_load: 1
priority: 1

You need read some books or some documents to use autosys. Its a very good tool for scheduling.

Thanks -

Pranab Das
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Autosys Job

Post by chulett »

pranabdas wrote:You need read some books or some documents to use autosys. Its a very good tool for scheduling.
Maybe so. We use Control-M and I've never felt the need to read any books about it - we've got dedicated "peoples" for that. They read the books. I tell them what I need. :wink:
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Craig

Maybe he can call your peeps. What do you think?
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

My ^M peeps? Sure, what the heck. :wink:
-craig