Why dont we have look-up stage in Datastage Server jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RohanSharma
Participant

Why dont we have look-up stage in Datastage Server jobs

Post by RohanSharma »

Hello alll,

I have a basic question for which i could not find an answer.

Why in datastage we dont have Look=up stage ina server job ? :?

I tried to figuer out but could'nt find an answer to it .
Can someone throw some light on it ?? :?:
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In DataStage server jobs, the lookup is done via a reference link in a transform stage.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Hashed file stage is present in server jobs for lookups.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ultimately the answer is that the vendor elected to have server jobs perform lookups one way (Transformer stage) and to have parallel jobs do it a different way (Lookup stage). The parallel Transformer stage does not support reference inputs.

As to why, only the vendor could answer that definitively.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
RohanSharma
Participant

Post by RohanSharma »

yes I'm aware of the fact that lookup is done via a transformer stage .
Also to add to this we can always perform look up in a transformer using datasets too.
but My question is that why at all datastage makers decided to provide this functionality in a transformer stage and did not allow look up stage in a server job.
Is this got something to do with the performance of a server job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is NOT possible to perform a lookup in a Transformer stage using Data Sets. The parallel Transformer stage does not support reference inputs. At all.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

RohanSharma wrote:but My question is that why at all datastage makers decided to provide this functionality in a transformer stage and did not allow look up stage in a server job.
Because they are different products and different paradigms. Ascential built the Server product from the ground up, and later acquired the PX technology and folded it into the product line.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Two different animals. I like to put it that way :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
RohanSharma
Participant

Post by RohanSharma »

ray.wurlod wrote:It is NOT possible to perform a lookup in a Transformer stage using Data Sets. The parallel Transformer stage does not support reference inputs. At all. ...

I know that I was not clear in stating my earlier comments,but i was referring to server jobs only . :)
I know that a transformer doesnot support referrence links in a parallel job .

But in a parallel stage we can perform a lookup using the look up stage and datasets always.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If you are referring to Server jobs, Dataset is not available in Server jobs. :)
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

RohanSharma wrote: But in a parallel stage we can perform a lookup using the look up stage and datasets always.
And thats how the px engine was designed to perform. Server jobs dont have lookup stage and datasets, period.